Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Hi. There is this issue that runs in my family that when we

Hi. There is this issue that runs in my family that when we have to much salt, the next day eaither are fingers are bloated or are legs hurt. I had a very salt dinner on tuesday and when i work up on wednesday, my right leg hurt. It usually goes away within a day, because i make sure to drink alot and stay away from salt, but when i work up today, it it still very sore and I am in pain. Is there something I can do? Should I be worried?

Hello Ellie,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Are you worried about deep vein thrombosis?
Where is the pain exactly situated on leg?
Is it on one side or both?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know what I am worried about since I am 24 and have do not reallly know the causes of this. The pain yesterday was in my right leg and intense pain, and today its still in my right leg but in the back upper area calf.

If the pain is accompanied by swelling, redness or tenderness and if you are on oral contraceptive (birth control pills); you may go to your primary care physician for an exam and getting an ultrasound to rule out blood clot. Otherwise you may not worry as pain can linger on for a day or two more than the duration you experience normally. Following may be helpful;

1) Warm compresses
2) Drinking plenty of fluids like water, fresh juices and coconut water.
3) Avoid caffeine drinks / carbonated drinks.
4) Also avoid excessive work outs, which may linger on the pain for longer duration.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. Once you are satisfied, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am on birth control, but there is no redness or swelling. Just an inside hurt pain when i walk on it and when I am sitting. My leg also feel strenouos, like ive pulled a muscle or something even though i have not. Is there anything I can take to make the pain go away?

Hello Ellie,

You can take an Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil). If the pain goes away, that would be pointer of muscle strain and / or pain due to strenuous exercises. Overall it is unlikely to be serious but if you have a family history of blood clots; it is better to get a check up for the precaution.

It is privilege assisting you.