Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

For 4 weeks I have been having mild discomfort/pain in my right

For 4 weeks I have been having mild discomfort/pain in my right side - sometimes it is on the shoulder, other times it is down to my lower ribs, always on the right hand side. I've also had intermittent chest pain which is worse when I bend over, but this seems to be relieved when I burp and is very infrequent.

Four doctors have listened to my chest, taken my blood oxygen levels and done blood tests and everything was clear (one doctor said they were all "brilliant")

The pain does tend to come and go, and Iburofen improves it a lot when it flares up.

I'm a 29 year old female ex smoker.

My doctor said a few days ago that it is muscular (I have bad posture and carry a very heavy 7 month old baby around a lot).

I suffer from anxiety which I am treating. As part of treating it, we are trying to avoid me having a lot of tests done because I tend to just escalate or move on to another worry and start the whole process again. But I would like an unbiased opinion of how likely this is to be lung cancer.
Hi--have you had a chest x-ray and a ct scan of the abdomen?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I haven't. The doctors all felt it wasn't needed (and probably didn't want to feed my anxiety which I understand as I tend to escalate).

OK Katie--do you have any problem with indigestion or with certain foods bothering you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do get a little reflux now and then - not with the typical burning sensation but I suddenly feel sick in the back of my throat (lovely I know!)

It's been an on/off problem since late in my pregnancy 7 months ago.

Also, just before this all started I was actually taken to hospital for severe pain under the sternum which they believed was due to acid

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I have just realised that I wasn't clear - apart from the very intermittent mild chest pain, the discomfort in the upper right body I was talking about is actually my back - so sometimes my right shoulder and sometimes lower down. Apologies for not clarifying that!

OK--I would get the scan because you may have gall stones and gall bladder pain can radiate to the right shoulder. If you do have stones, my suggestion to patients is to have the gall bladder removed before it causes major problems like pancreatitis
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

While I know you can't give guarantees (being over the internet and all) would you say that is more likely than lung cancer?