Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD

My husband was pulling something heavy at work today when he

My husband was pulling something heavy at work today when he heard a popping sound and his collar bone is now sore. There is a bit of a protruding bump on the inside of the right collar bone. It is sore when he lifts he raises his arm and pushes with his hand. Do you have any idea what it could be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 9 months ago.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

mysticdoc :

Based on your description it sounds like he dislocated the collar bone.

mysticdoc :

The popping sound is due to the rupture of the ligaments supporting the joint.

mysticdoc :

The protrusion is due to the displaced collar bone.

mysticdoc :

This can be reset by an orthopedic surgeon.

mysticdoc :

Although not urgent, Xrays are required for proper treatment.

mysticdoc :

For pain control, IBuprofen ( advil) can be used.

mysticdoc :

Avoid any heavy lifting.

mysticdoc :

He can use a sling to relieve the pain if that helps meanwhile.

Customer:

He works with a chain saw everyday. In Canada it can take up to a year to see an orthopedic surgeon. Can anyone else help?

mysticdoc :

Yes, he can go to the Emergency room or his primary care.

Customer:

He doesn't need a sling and can function quite well. Could it be anything else?

Customer:

would the ER be able to relocate or only refer?

mysticdoc :

very unlikely given the location.

mysticdoc :

rotator cuff tear is also possible in the shoulder joint which restricts the shoulder movement but bone protrusion is not common with that.

Customer:

What is unlikely...that the ER can relocate/

mysticdoc :

the ER can fix the problem.

mysticdoc :

I as talking about other possibilities --did not notice your last reply.

Customer:

what is unlikely?

Customer:

ok.

mysticdoc :

Other possibilities are unlikely.

Customer:

He will go tomorrow. Thanks

mysticdoc :

that should be fine.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Customer:

does that heal well once dislocated? What will happen if he keeps working with it?

Customer:

sorry

mysticdoc :

yes it will heal --better to avoid working as that will delay the healing process.

Customer:

If he doesn't relocate will it heal on it's own?

mysticdoc :

yes it will still --but the protrusion will persist --and chronic pain may be experienced with activities.

Customer:

Do you think a walk in clinic can relocate?

Customer:

Do you think a walk in clinic can relocate it?

mysticdoc :

that depends on the physician.

mysticdoc :

If the doctor is experienced with orthopedic procedures then yes possible.

Customer:

thank you!

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD