911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

I have Chronic Venous Insufficiency. About 1/2 hour ago my

I have Chronic Venous Insufficiency. About 1/2 hour ago my cat nicked the skin in that area (it was a mistake!) - it really seemed like she barely broke the skin. Since then the spot has been oozing a clear liquid. No odor, color, or viscosity. What's going on, and what should I do about it?
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 11 months ago.

911Doctor :

That is edema fluid and is of no concern.

911Doctor :

What is of concern is proper care of this

911Doctor :

You definitely need to let your doctor know about this

911Doctor :

and you definitely want to keep the area clean and dry

911Doctor :

infection in the skin with your venous insufficiency would be very bad indeed.

911Doctor :

so I would clean the area gently with soap and water

911Doctor :

and place a dry dressing over the area

911Doctor :

you may need to secure it with an ace wrap... if you do, make it just tight enough to stay in place... it really shouldn't dig into the leg at all

911Doctor :

under the ace wrap you could place a small piece of gauze

911Doctor :

and you should get this looked at by someone within the next few days

911Doctor :

if the area becomes red or inflammed then you should be seen the same day

911Doctor :

redness that spreads in the skin or yellow or cloudy discharge from the wound also means infection and should be seen right away as well

911Doctor :

so, in summary, the fluid is really similar to water

911Doctor :

it is not dangerous that you have a little leaking fluid

911Doctor :

the key is to prevent infection

911Doctor :

and gentle cleaning and a dry dressing held in place with the minimum possible pressure should get this stopped quickly

911Doctor :

I do not see you in the chat so will change this to a Q and A format.

If your question has been adequately answered please consider leaving positive feedback. If you have further questions simply type them in the box below and click reply. Have a great evening, and, should you need my assistance in the future please begin your question with 'for 911doc'.

Best

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.