Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Hi Im an overweight 27 yr old female with a history of polycystic

Hi I'm an overweight 27 yr old female with a history of polycystic ovaries, hormone imbalance and a slightly dilated right ventricle of the heart (no cause found). Last time my bp was checked a few months ago it was borderline high. Just over a week ago I cut back to 1500 calories a day, less than 75 carbs a day and less than 30 sugars a day. I have lost 5 pounds so far! However I have only done light walking as exercise and have noted a 10 beat drop in my resting heart rate which has alarmed me
Hi--what's your present BP and heart rate and what was you usual heart rate before the drop in resting pulse?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey I'm sorry the text box cut me off and wouldn't let me put any more information. My resting heart rate usually is right around 72. Last night I noticed it was 63 and then 65 when I checked again. My blood pressure was 140/90 last time it was checked manually at the doctor about 2 and a half months ago. I have not done nearly enough exercise to warrant that much of a drop in resting heart rate. What could cause this?

Kasie that rate--mid 60's--isn't anything to worry about. Actually the 72 is just a bit high for a resting pulse. If your rate were dropping into the fifties or lower, then I'd worry about a heart block or a sinus node problem, but there's nothing worrisome about a pulse in the 60's. It's possible that your weight loss and exercise has caught up with your heart and lowered the rate to a more acceptable number
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I didn't realize 72 was a little high. Could just one week cause that much of a drastic drop? Does cutting out sugar lower heart rate maybe?

Yes--less sugar can do that as well as skipping caffeine. And the drop really isn't a drastic one
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I haven't been drinking caffeine for well over 6 months now in an effort to give my heart a break so to speak but it didn't lower my heart rate much. I just happened to notice this week that my heart rate was much lower. So at what point should I alert my doctor of my resting pulse rate?

Just let him know when you go next week. Except for maybe an EKG to look at the rhythm I wouldn't do anything else and would just tell you there's nothing to worry about here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok great thanks for your help!

My pleasure