Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have a 6yr old daughter that started having severe abdominal

I have a 6yr old daughter that started having severe abdominal pain 1wk and 3 days ago. This came on suddenly. I followed all the pediatricians instructions but nothing helped. She barely ate or drank anything during this time. This past Thursday i brought her to the ER. They put her in the hospital and told me she had an ILEUM. During her stay she still cramped.
We are home now and the cramping is still there. Her pediatrician is now treating her for IBS. I feel they are grasping for straws not really knowing what it is. Any insight would be helpful.
Thanks XXXXX

Hello Sherry ,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

What were the investigations done?
Has she bloating, gas, tenderness, constipation / diarrhea, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting?
Any significant past medical illness or surgery?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they did an x-ray and said her intestines were distended and full of air. Was on iv fluids for 2 days. Still cramping severe at times. Hasn' t eaten or drank alot for the past week. Tenderness more on the left side. No vomiting and no past surgery or illness. Very healthy child.Real soft stool like pudding

Hello Sherry,

Distended abdomen full of air with the abdominal pain and tenderness on left side would be suggestive of following;

1) Sub acute intestinal obstruction.
2) Meckel's diverticulitis
3) Acute mesenteric lymphadenopathy
4) Intussusception
5) Appendicitis (tenderness is on the right side though)
6) Worm colic

Apart from a stool examination and blood work for electrolytes, complete blood count and comprehensive metabolic panel, she would require an ultrasound and CT scan to ascertain the exact cause.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. Once you are satisfied, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They did blood work and said all looked good.But not sure what all they checked for.

Hello Sherry,

The blood work like counts and electrolytes may come normal and that indicate that infections, Meckel's diverticulitis and appendicitis are less likely. Key investigations here (which are diagnostic) would be medical imaging like ultrasound and a CT scan or MRI and these should be done as early as possible. Many times an initial blood work may come normal but when it is repeated after 2-3 days may point to some issue.

It is privilege assisting you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should I insist on a CT or MRI? They treating for IBS but cramping is still there.I'm at a loss and at the mercy of the pediatricians. But my mommy gut says there is something else wrong

MRI would be better and you may discuss it with the doctor. It does not cause radiation exposure and is slightly better medical imaging.