Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Doc put me on 50 mg Zoloft 5 weeks ago. He upped it to 100

Doc put me on 50 mg Zoloft 5 weeks ago. He upped it to 100 mg 2 weeks ago. I had been feeling much better on the 50 mg, but shortly after starting the 100 mg I began having difficulty urinating meaning my bladder was full but I could not go. Only then could I go was when it was close for the next dose. Doc then put me on Flomax and it didn't help much at all after 6 days. I also drop the Zoloft dose back down to 50 mg. I called doc yesterday and he suggest I go see a urologist. I suggested to him that I go off the Zoloft as the problem only started after taking it. Last night I cut the dose to 25 mg and stopped the Flomax. Today, I still can't go as I tense up for fear I can't go and also have a weird sensation in the head of my penis like I am wetting my pants but no discharge at all. I'm 55 and never had a problem like this ever before the zoloft.
Hi--why the increase from the 50 to 100?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Was still having some issues with social anxiety.

OK--did your doctor get a urinalysis and physically check your prostate gland?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I already said no test were done.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm waiting for a reply..

Sorry for the delay. While the Zoloft might cause some urinary retention, this sounds like you have an infection of the prostate and you need the workup. If it isn't, then I'd suggest your doctor switch you to Effexor which is less likely to cause these side effects