Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.

I am in PHMP and I accidentally took my husbands zantac instad

I am in PHMP and I accidentally took my husbands zantac instad of my prescribed pepcid. Will one dose of zantac cause a false positive.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 9 months ago.
What is your age?
Are you asking for drug test and Zantac?
Which drug test do you undergo?
When have you taken Zantac?
Please provide more information.

It's my first priority to serve you.
Waiting for your response.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I am 27and I accidentally took one dose of zantac 150 @ 7am. I am in a nurse monitoring program amd can only take my prescribed pepcid. I am fearful I will have a false positive for amphetamines. I've been clean dor goin on 2yrs amd I don't wamt a stupid mistake to jeopardize my chances of ever workin in an er again.

Thanks for providing more information.
I understand your worry and unfortunately to say that Zantac can cause false positive SCREENING tests for amphetamines.
However i want to provide you more information so you can get measures to prevent such false positive results.
Most drug tests are done in 2 steps:
Screening - typically done with a immunoassay. This inexpensive and rapid technology is sensitive (able to detect most cases of the drug in the urine), however it is non-specific (it can be falsely positive)

Confirmation - This additional step (GC/MS or LC/MS) is done on all cases where the screening test was positive. This test is more expensive and time consuming, but it eliminates all of the false positives.
So when the specimen is tested with GC/MS confirmation - the test will be reported as negative and does not have the problem with such false positive results.

So in case you have to perform drug test then you should consider GC/MS confirmation test.
You need to check with the laboratory/employer if the drug test was done with GC/MS confirmation.

I hope this helps.
Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.
Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Would one dose typically cause a screen to be positive. I call daily to see i have been selected and today I was not. If I am not tomorrow do you think the medication would b out of my system. I seen the half life was 3-4 hours.

The half-life of ranitidine (Zantac) is about 3 hours, so half of it is out of your system in 3 hours, leaving half.
Half of the remaining half is out in the next 3 hours leaving 1/4. half of the remaining 1/4 is out in the next 3 hours leaving 1/8, etc.
We normally say that between 6-8 half-lives will leave it undetectable, so that's between 18-24 hours,zantac to be out of your system.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you so much. Thats what I figured but that kinda reassured me to be more careful and pay attention. Thank so so much. Have a great night.

You are most welcome.
Whenever you have any health related problem you can ask me in future.
It's my pleasure to help you.

Positive feedback and bonus are highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Good luck.
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience: M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.