911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

I have been unable to have full motion with my left arm/shoulder

I have been unable to have full motion with my left arm/shoulder for the last ten months. I am unable to put it behind my back. It won't bend. I am unable to lift it beyond the horizontal position without extreme pain. It hurts when I sleep and I must keep my arm raised to my chest and sleep on my stomach to keep it in place. (to relieve the pain)

I have been told for that last eight months that I have arthritis, frozen shoulder and a pinched nerve in the neck. I had a shot of cortisone in the shoulder four months ago. I have been to three chiropractors and continue treatment with one. It just isn't getting better. I will be going to have an MRI next week to hopefully provide new encouragement. Are there any other alternatives that would be helpful.
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 12 months ago.

911Doctor :

Sounds like you have a rotator cuff problem... have you been to see an Orthopedist or just chiropractors?

911Doctor :

Chiropractors, by their training, are not folks who should be seeing you for a shoulder problem...

911Doctor :

I would assume the MRI was ordered by your primary care physician or by an orthopedist?

911Doctor :

Are you there?

911Doctor :

Will be back with you when you are able to respond to the above.

911Doctor :

Best

Customer:

The Doctor that provided the cortisone said it was not be the rotator cuff. I have not seen the Orthopedist The MRI is my request at my dollar. It was a direction I wanted to follow since nothing else was working.

911Doctor :

what kind of doctor did a cortisone shot if not an orthopedist?

911Doctor :

Everything you are describing sounds like a rotator cuff injury.

911Doctor :

The exact doctor you need to see is an orthopedic surgeon. Chiropractors are not medical doctors, they are doctors of chiropractic 'medicine' but do not perform surgery or prescribe medicine.

911Doctor :

I think the MRI is a good idea, but when you get the results you need to see an orthopedist.

911Doctor :

I do not see you in the chat so will change this to a Q and A format.

If your question has been adequately answered please consider leaving positive feedback. If you have further questions simply type them in the box below and click reply. Have a great evening, and, should you need my assistance in the future please begin your question with 'for 911doc'.

Best

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for your advice. I will seek an Orthopedic Specialist. The current Doctors are within a clinic and try to keep everything in-house.

That makes very little sense to me... If they are general practice doctors then they can't fix a torn rotator cuff. If they are general practice doctors they should be able to diagnose one. That would be by history, exam, and MRI. Good for you that you are getting an MRI. I think this is going to give you your answer.

Thank you so much for your question. It was a pleasure talking with you. If this answer has been helpful to you please consider leaving positive feedback. Should you require my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc’, and I am usually on the site most days.

Best

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician