Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I was diagnosed with an anul fissure and an external hemroid.

I was diagnosed with an anul fissure and an external hemroid. Was give perscription cortisone cream to use. It seemed to be better for a couple of days and I am now having discomfort again. Is this normal and does it take awhile to heal?
Hi--how long have you had the problem and is the major discomfort with your bowel movements?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It has been about a week. Went to Doctor on Tuesday. Major discomfort is when I am Sitting or lying down.
OK Kathy. I suggest you use witch hazel moistened cotton balls before applying the cortisone cream and it would also help to have a donut cushion to sit on. The hemorrhoid can resolve itself fairly quickly but the fissure may take another week or so to heal. You can also use ibuprofen or naproxen for the pain. Sitz baths in warm, Epsom salt water can also help
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. So it is not unusual for the discomfort to come and go?
No, that's common and pressure on the area will cause it to bother you more