Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I need an opinion on GI symptoms I am having. I have what

I need an opinion on GI symptoms I am having. I have what I was told is IBS after more serious things were ruled out by endoscopy and colonoscopy. I suspected I had a type of food intolerance, specifically gluten.

Last night I had 3 beers and my stomach was fine, and this morning I had a stomach and and several BMS. For breakfast I had two rice cakes, a TSB of peanut butter, and a half of a banana and my stomach felt fine. Then, for lunch I had cold cuts on a roll with diet soda and almost immediately after eating I felt bloated, distended and very gassy, with my stomach churning. IF it was a gluten problem, wouldn't the beer last night have bothered me immediately? I rarely drink soda, so could that have caused it so suddenly?

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

mysticdoc :

Yes beer if fermented from wheat should have caused some stomach upset last night.

mysticdoc :

Soda also can cause symptoms as it does contain several additives.

mysticdoc :

Gluten sensitivity is still possible since bread has gluten in it.

mysticdoc :

Sometimes the stomach symptoms may not be immediate.

mysticdoc :

You can get some blood tests done to check for gluten sensitivity --anti TTg and anti gliadin antibodies.

Customer:

My doctor ordered a Celiac panel...I think it's iga?

mysticdoc :

yes correct

mysticdoc :

that should be fine also.

Customer:

That came back negative - so is that test the same as the ones you mention? Or is one for Celiac and one for just a senstitvity?

mysticdoc :

look for anti TTg or transglutaminase antibodies

Customer:

I see something "Tissue Transglutam AB, IGA"

Customer:

and Gliadin Deamidated AB, IGA

Customer:

Both of which came back negative.

mysticdoc :

ok

mysticdoc :

then your tests were negative.

mysticdoc :

Now if you already started gluten restriction, then the test can be falsely negative.

Customer:

I had followed a lower carb diet months before that test - I can't remember how long before that test I started eating bread and carbs again, but I don't eat a lot to begin with.

mysticdoc :

ok

mysticdoc :

so there is a possibility of false negative test at least 20-30%

Customer:

My concern though was if I truely had a gluten intolerance or sensitivity, woudl it flare up every time I had gluten? The thing that's throwing me is that beer doesn't bother my stomach. If i did have a problem with gluten, would it bother me everytime I consumed it"?

mysticdoc :

That is good question.

mysticdoc :

The gluten sensitivty may vary.

mysticdoc :

Some items may cause it, some do not.

mysticdoc :

The reaction may be vary everytime.

mysticdoc :

But in general if you see improvement in your symptoms by gluten restriction, you can continue with that.

mysticdoc :

Or at least keep that in low amount.

Customer:

Great - thanks. I have to get other tests redone (unrelated). I have since introduced carbs into my diet, so I will ask them to retest those as well. Thanks for your help

mysticdoc :

very welcome