Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I have been dealing with acid reflux symptoms over the last

I have been dealing with acid reflux symptoms over the last 3 weeks.
I went to the doctor for nausea and heartburn. He prescribed Nexium 40 mg. I was taking Prilosec but it wasn't working any longer.

The Nexium side effects were bad. So he switched me to Protonix. I experienced the same difficulties with the 40 mg. dose. The heartburn was better but then experienced a loss of appetite and diarrhea.

On Monday, I am going to have a scope done for my stomach. I have noticed that when I eat fatty foods, symptoms are worse.
Could this be gallbladder?
Hi--can you tell me more about your symptoms and were you screened for H pylori?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I was not screened for that. At least I don't think so.

I feel ok until evening time. Then the heartburn seems to get worse and I'm not very hungry.

I've had a lot of diarrhea and I'm not sure if it's from the medicine or something else. Only bland food sits well.

OK Sue but I need to know exactly what the symptoms are that you're calling heartburn
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can feel the acid in my chest. Sometimes I vomit it up just to get rid of it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a great deal of belching as well

OK--so no pain in the abdomen, especially in the right upper quadrant?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. I have not noticed any.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK Sue. Doesn't sound at all like your gallbladder but you could have an H pylori infection and possibly a peptic ulcer that together are causing your problem. The scope will check for both and if it's H Pylori, antibiotics may be all that's needed to clear this up