Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Hello I had a scan recently after which my GP told not to

I had a scan recently after which my GP told not to worry and leave it. Please read extract from report bellow and let me know if I am paranoid or should be seeking further medical help. I am 38 years old and had ovarian cyst removed (right side) 12 years ago.

B..both ovaries were seen and the right ovary appeared bulty with ovarian volume of 27cc but no large ovarian cysts or massess were seen. Left ovary appeared unremarkable with a collapsed corpus luteum and ovarian volume of 16ccs. Assessment of ovarian morphology was difficult due to the presence of a dominant follicle.
thank you.
Hi. Can I first ask why you had the scan?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My periods started to be irregular from april this year. I might have them every between 14-28 days. This has propmted me to go to GP. Because of previous cyst I eas sent for scan.
OK. This isn't cancer if that were your concern here. It sounds like you may have a hormonal problem with perhaps a cyst in that ovary that's difficult to assess right now. I'd get an MRI to better define the enlargement and check your estrogen, progesterone, FSH and LH levels
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Cancer is one and worst everybodys nightmare. But my concern here is shall i leave it or go and seek further medical tests which hopefully would explain the reason of 27cc volume and suggest solution/ cure if any needed. Anyway- is 27cc normal??
27 cc is definitely enlarged but I would still have your hormones checked. If those are abnormal it would explain the enlargement and you might need hormonal therapy for a few months. I would just repeat the scan in about three months but no need to do anything more about the ovary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your help. And Finaly- Would you please advice how do i get my hormones checked. Or simply how shall i put it for my GP without sounding offensive against her original assessment- do nothing. If she refuses is there anywhere i can get them checked.
just ask her to check your hormones because of the period problem since you might be pre-menopausal. Otherwise you could have a gynecologist check them