Dr. Nitika
Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience:  General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM

My son is 3 years old and was diagnosed with strep throat Tuesday

My son is 3 years old and was diagnosed with strep throat Tuesday evening and received a one time shot of penicillin. He was running really high fever, 103.00. (He always does get really high fever anytime he gets sick) We were told by his dr if he was still running any on Wednesday day, to call back and they would call us in something to take by mouth as well. They called in Zithromax 4 ml once a day for 4 days. He had a dose of Zithromax last night. When giving tonight's dose, he threw it up after 8 minutes. (all of it I'm pretty sure, because you could see/smell the meds) So my question is between the shot of penicillin Tues evening and the one dose of Zithromax last night, does he have enough antibiotic in his system until tomorrow night's dose? Don't want him to relapse since his vomited tonight's dose. (Ps he has been almost 24 hours without fever)
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 9 months ago.
I understand your concern and it's my pleasure to help you in every aspect.
As he threw up Zithromax medication after 8 minutes so he didn't get the medicine absorb in the bloodstream so possibly he had not get enough antibiotic.
So you should call your doctor for that incident and if required his doctor may want to give the repeat dose.
Usually penicillins are the first line of treatment for strep infection.
But additional antibiotics are usually prescribed as well.
So you should call back his doctor and inform about this incident and he may want to repeat the dose prescribed.

Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience: General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM