Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Came down with cold Tuesday night. Healthy otherwise; ran 5.5

Came down with cold Tuesday night. Healthy otherwise; ran 5.5 miles each Monday & Tuesday. Flu shot a couple of weeks ago; happened to see General Practitioner Tues AM when I was feeling fine! BP 120/78, resting pulse 65, 6'1", 219 pounds at time of checkup.

Symptoms, generally weak/achy, low appetite (VERY unusual for me) a little painful coughing, head seems stuffed, but no sneezing/runny nose.

No GI pain, but last bowel movement was 25 hours ago. Normally pretty regular 8AM, 4PM.

Scheduled to run 13 miles on Sunday; will take it VERY easy and am not afraid to walk or drop out. Use a heart monitor to track pulse.

Questions:
Diet? Looking for good advice. Not a lot of appetite, but willing to eat whatever.
OTC Meds? took 12 hour sudafed and 2x200mg ibuprofen yesterday at 9AM & 9PM. Nothing since. Still feel crummy.
Exercise: OK to walk a mile or so today, to tolerance, just to see how it goes? Usually do a 13 mile bike ride day before the half marathon. VERY easy.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

Do you have fever?
Is there greenish yellow phlegm?
Is there any sore throat?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Came down with cold Tuesday night. Healthy otherwise; ran 5.5 miles each Monday & Tuesday. Flu shot a couple of weeks ago; happened to see General Practitioner Tues AM when I was feeling fine! BP 120/78, resting pulse 65, 6'1", 219 pounds at time of checkup. Symptoms, generally weak/achy, low appetite (VERY unusual for me) a little painful coughing, head seems stuffed, but no sneezing/runny nose. No GI pain, but last bowel movement was 25 hours ago. Normally pretty regular 8AM, 4PM. Scheduled to run 13 miles on Sunday; will take it VERY easy and am not afraid to walk or drop out. Use a heart monitor to track pulse. Questions: Diet? Looking for good advice. Not a lot of appetite, but willing to eat whatever. OTC Meds? took 12 hour sudafed and 2x200mg ibuprofen yesterday at 9AM & 9PM. Nothing since. Still feel crummy. Exercise: OK to walk a mile or so today, to tolerance, just to see how it goes? Usually do a 13 mile bike ride day before the half marathon. VERY easy.

More detail:

Came down with a cold/flu Tuesday night after running 5.5 miles 2 evenings in a row in warm climat (San Jose).

Flu shot 2 weeks ago, some cough/green phlegm, achy, tired, shivvering. temp from 99-100.3.

Anything to do besides rest and quarts of liquids (i have 2 cups on my desk: water, and fresh lemon squeezed into my green tea)?

.

Questions:
what is the prognosis? symptoms for how many days?
any OTC medication advice?
dietary advice?
any markers for NOT run/walking on Sunday?
OK to walk a mile today if I'm up to it?

THANK YOU!!

Dear XXXXX
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

The symptoms you are having is most likely due to flu. The most common cause of a flu is a viral infection, such as a cold or the flu.

Symptoms caused by a virus usually resolves on its own with at-home care.Symptoms caused by a viral infection generally clears up on its own within one week with no complications.

Following will help you greatly:

-Take decongestant like pseudoephedrine hydrochloride, which reduce the swelling of the mucous membranes in the nose. Dont use them more then 5 days.

-Keeping a humidifier running in your room or using an over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times a day can provide dramatic relief.

-Continue to take tab.Ibuprofen 400 mg for treating symptoms of fever and bodyaches/fatigue/weakness.

If the symptoms persists even after 7th day,then you need tests to know the exact underlying cause & hence the antibiotics may need to be prescribed accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Robert, thank you for the response. Are sudafed/ibuprofen only for relief of symptoms? I can tough it out, but if they help the body recover quicker, I'm in!

What about my questions re:

Diet

Exercise/13 mile run Sunday?

Dear XXXXX,

Yes,sudafed & Ibuprofen will provide you the symptomatic relief.

If the cause is viral infection,then the virus will normally run its course of 7 days & the symptoms will subside after these 7 days.

Till then for symptoms relief,you can take these described medications.

Following diet is recommended:

- Proteins such as meats, milk, and fish also contain vitamin B12, a powerful immune booster.

-Take healthy well-balanced diet that should contain a variety of foods.

-Avoid any junk food with empty calories - candy, soda, etc.

You should avoid heavy exercises or gym or 13 mile run on Sunday as this can delay the healing & you will feel uncomfortable/breathing discomfort etc.

Hope this helped.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Robert, thank you for the help!

What about lighter exercise, to tolerance?

--jeff

Dear XXXXX
Thank you for asking another follow up question.

Yes,you can have light exercises as they help to boost your immune system & helps in quick recovery from the infection.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you! XXXXX
Dr.Robert