Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM
2598649

An Ortho Surgeon diagnosed me via x-ray with a hip cam impingement

An Ortho Surgeon diagnosed me via x-ray with a hip cam impingement (along with a calcium deposit in the labrum from the chronic impingement). Next step is an Arthogram to determine if there is a tear.

My main symptom has been chronic (and almost constant) groin pain. Not just when running or exercising, but almost constant (esp when sitting).

Can a Cam impingement cause chronic groin/scrotal area pain? That's what's killing me (not the sore hip, buttock, lower back pain; note: all of the symptoms are on my left side where the impingement is).

Any thoughts would be great; thanks!

Erik
I understand your concern and Hip cam Impingement can result in groin pain.
Hip issues may cause pain in testes or scrotum.
Any organ that shares the same nerve pathway with the scrotal contents can present with pain in this region.

Apart from hip pathology causing your groin and scrotal pain; there may be other issues which may need to be looked for.

Neuropathy is also the cause of the chronic testes pain.
Lower back issues (pinched nerves) can also cause the referred pain to groin and scrotum / testes.
Chronic scrotal pain is usually related to noninflammatory conditions but chronic infections also should be considered.
So an abdominal ultrasound, intravenous pyelography, MRI of the back and a CT scan of the abdomen also should be done to evaluate testicular pain.
A prostatitis may cause testicular pain.
You should consider MR arthrography which is most often used in evaluation of the hip and acetabular labrum.

Hope this helps.
Please rate me high if you are satisfied with our conversation.
In case you have further query press reply to expert button.
Bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks.

Can a hip issue (impingement and/or tear) cause pelvic floor muscle tension and pain?

That's my biggest symptom (esp when sitting). I'm hoping that the impingement (and possible labral tear) can cause these pelvic floor muscle symptoms.

note: I've ruled out the back and urologic conditions.

I"m wondering if the impingement and/or tear has caused the pelvic floor muscles and groin to be irritated?

Any further thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Erik

Thanks for the follow-up.
It's good you have already ruled out Back and urological conditions.
And Hip cam impingement can cause referral pain to pelvic floor muscles.
However other causes of pelvic floor tension and pain may include Levator ani syndrome,Pelvic flood dysfunction.
Kegel exercises can be helpful in such cases.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.