Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Hi, I had Thyroid operation 2 years ago and since then

I had Thyroid operation 2 years ago and since then I have been on Euthyrox. All thiughout this period, I have been suffering from the following side effects: extreme fatigue, muscles pain & weakness, difficulty breathing and since the last 5 months no menstrual period and hot flashes. My thyroid test results are OK. Can I change Euthyrox to another medication with less side effects? what would be your recommendation? please help me.

Many thanks,
Najiba
Submitted: 1 year ago via Patientsville.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

was this a total thyroidectomy or a partial thryoidectomy?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

please type your reply and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message

Dr. P. Jyoti :

did you have a total or a partial thyroidectomy?

Customer:

Total

Dr. P. Jyoti :

well, in that case you will always need thyroid medications

Customer:

yes

Dr. P. Jyoti :

euthyrox contains T4

Customer:

I think so

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you should discuss with your doctor about using a thyroid supplement that contains both T3 and T4

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this can get over your symptoms

Dr. P. Jyoti :

also it is quite likely that these symptoms are not related to thyroid condition

Dr. P. Jyoti :

one possibility is that you could be going through early perimenopause

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this is something that needs to be ruled out

Dr. P. Jyoti :

PCOS is another possibility

Dr. P. Jyoti :

show a gynae for this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

loss of menstrual period for 5 months is the first thing that needs to be looked into

Dr. P. Jyoti :

discuss this with your docotr

Customer:

yes, I'm not bothered about my MP. I'm mainly bothered about extreme fatigue and muscle pain / weekness

Dr. P. Jyoti :

a thorough investigation by your gynae is necessary for this

Customer:

what would be an alternative medecine that contains T3 & T4?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i understand that, but the menstrual period loss is in fact your primary symptom and the fatigue and muscle pain are secondary, and are likely to be due to the same cause which is causing your loss of menstrual period

Dr. P. Jyoti :

one brand in the US is Thylorar

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ask your doctor about this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

at the same time, also consult a gynae because all your symptoms could be related to a gynae problem

Dr. P. Jyoti :

these two steps will help you come out of this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

first ask your doctor about Thylorar - t3

Customer:

any other equivalent to in UAE?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

and secondly see a gynae for this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am not sure about that - thylorar should be available in UAE

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you will have to ask your doctor about this

Customer:

I did and I got a treatment and got my MP the last 2 months I had my FSH high

Dr. P. Jyoti :

these two steps will help you to come out of this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

in that case pcos could be a problem

Dr. P. Jyoti :

see your gynae for this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

what is pcos?

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
Hello Najiba,

Thank you for your positive rating to my answer.

I am very pleased that I was able to help you.

You may shortly receive an email survey to rate my services from JA. Please take the time to answer the survey with positive ratings for me, because the survey is actually very important for me on this JA site and your good ratings will help me immensely.

If you have any further questions, either on this issue or a different issue, I would be happy to help you. Just 'request' me or put 'For Dr. P. Jyoti only' at the beginning of your question so that I get to work with you again.

It was a great pleasure for me and JA to be able to help you.

JA has also started a new feature where you can add an expert to your list of favorite experts so that you can request them directly

I would be honored to be included in your list.

Thank you,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.