Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

Can an MD, licensed nurse practitioner, or chiropractor run

Can an MD, licensed nurse practitioner, or chiropractor run a physical therapy clinic or does it have to be a licensed PT?

Chris C. :

Hello! I will be assisting you this evening.

Chris C. :

An MD is allowed to own a facility and can order physical therapy treatments but there must be a licensed PT on staff to supervise.

Chris C. :

The rules vary by state.

Chris C. :

The facility can be staffed with pt aides and have a director licensed supervision pt.

Chris C. :

Remember that a Physical Therapy Facility licenses are not required for healthcare facilities licensed in most states including hospitals, clinics, and home health care agencies, or institutions regulated by the Department of Education.

Chris C. :

Can you see my replies?

Customer:

what are the rules for licensed PTA's vs non licensed aides. I am opening a wellness clinic. I want to provide a nurse practitioner, chiropractor, and physical therapy services. I'd like to just hire the nurse practitioner and chiropractor, but I want them to help patients with physical therapy too

Chris C. :

In what state is this?

Chris C. :

Are you there?

I switched to Q&A since it looked like you could not see my replies. I will repost and we can continue here. I originally posted:

Chris C. :

Chris C. :

Chris C. :

The rules vary by state.

Chris C. :

Chris C. :

Chris C. :

Can you see my replies?</pCustomer:

Chris C. :

In what state is this?

Chris C. :

Are you there?

What state will this facility be in?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Utah

Ok let me look up the information and I will post it here in a bit.
This you probably already have but it is the complete act:

http://www.dopl.utah.gov/laws/58-24b.pdf

Listed there it indicates as you can see:

On-site supervision" means supervision and oversight of a person by a licensed physical therapist or a licensed physical therapist assistant when the licensed physical therapist or licensed physical therapist assistant is: (a) continuously present at the facility where the person is providing services; (b) immediately available to assist the person; and (c) regularly involved in the services being provided by the person.