Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

My mother recently was hospitalized for kidney failure and

My mother recently was hospitalized for kidney failure and in determining what was wrong, had a CT scan, the results of which showed a mass near her kidney. An MRI was done to see what the mass was...apparently we learned today she has a thrombosed aneurysm and she has an appointment on Monday with a vascular surgeon. There has been a several week delay in having this appointment, as the physicians had originally not told us this was an aneurysm and referred her to a gynecologist (despite the fact she has had a complete hysterectomy) citing further need for diagnostic tests. The gynecologist canceled the appointment today, and his nurse is the one who indicated this is an aneurysm. My question is - what exactly is a thrombosed aneurysm - I've never heard of an aneurysm not in the brain....what are the dangers associated with one in this area? Is it likely she will have surgery to remove it? Thank you!

Hello Tina,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

An aneurysm is the dilatation of the wall. This means that there is a weakness of the wall of the artery. The weakness can be congenital (from birth) or acquired (due to thickening of the arteries due to aging). In her age group the most likely cause is atherosclerosis or thickening of the arterial wall. A thrombosed aneurysm is blocked by the blood clot. This is not an uncommon thing as an aneurysm due to atherosclerosis may predispose for the blood clot (thrombosis). Many of the aneursym can be treated by endovascular repair. This is done by the vascular surgeon. The surgeon first inserts a catheter into an artery in the groin and threads it to the aneurysm. Then, using an x ray to see the artery, the surgeon threads the stent graft into the aneurysm. Sometimes open surgery may be required depending on the type and size of the aneurysm. Open surgery may also be required if the kidney has lost significant blood supply and that part of the kidney or whole of one kidney may be necessary to be removed (the other kidney is good enough to take over the function).

The dangers of aneurysm (if larger than one cm especially) are;

1) rupture
2) dissection (widening of the arterial wall),
3) infection, and
4) clotting (thrombosis, which have already occurred and this loose the blood supply of the part of the organ).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. Once you are satisfied, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there any danger of the clot coming loose, resulting in a stroke? She had a stroke in 2008. Thank you for your help!

You are very welcome, Tina.

The clots here are not much likely to get loose (as they get organized / solidify) and highly unlikely to cause stroke.

It is privilege assisting you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for your help! Best wishes to you and your family!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

You are most welcome.

Wishing all the very best to you and your family too.