Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

I recently had a colonoscopy and endoscopy for stomach issues,

I recently had a colonoscopy and endoscopy for stomach issues, which now may be attributed to IBS. However, the doctor says I have gastritis (for which he gave me medication) and diverticulitis. For the diverticulitis, he suggested a higher fiber diet. I eat some fruit, vegetables, and hardly and grains. Would taking a fiber supplement be beneficial? I sometimes suffer from bloating and distenstion, so will the fiber make those symptoms worse?
Do you have intermittent constipation and diarrhea?
Alcohol and smoking history?
Are you currently taking any medication?

My first priority is to serve you.
Waiting for your response.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I sometimes have intermittent constipation and diarrhea, with bloating. This is why I got the procedures in the first place, just to make sure what was causing this.

I haven't smoked in over 10 years, and I drink socially, maybe about 6-7 drinks a week.

I now take omeprazole for the gastritis. I supplement with fish oil and vitamins everyday.

Thanks for providing more information.
Firstly Irritable Bowel syndrome is a functional disorder.
And intermittent consitpation & diarrhea,bloating can be associated with it.
Daily dietary recommended fibre intake is 38 grams.
Top sources of fiber are: beans, peas,soybeans, chickpeas, black-eyed peas, artichokes, whole wheat flour, barley,cornmeal, bran, raspberries, blackberries, and prunes.

Good sources of fiber include: lettuce, dark leafy greens, broccoli, okra, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, potatoes, corn, snap beans, asparagus, cabbage, whole wheat pasta, popcorn, nuts, raisins, pears, strawberries, oranges, bananas, blueberries, mangoes, and apples.
Main thing is to increase your fibre intake gradually as much as you feel comfortable.
Fibre overdose can result in bloating,Lack of vitamins & minerals absorption.

And as you are taking only small amount of fruits and vegetables so you can try Metamucil which adds bulk to stool and helps in colon cleansing.
In case you develop bloating,distension then you can try OTC Simethicone.

You should take plenty of fluids.
Do regular exercises.
Even you should avoid fish oil supplement for long term use as it can decrease immunity and increase the risk of bleeding.

I hope this helps.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.
Positive feedback and bonus are highly appreciated.
Thank you.