Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

My 70-year-old mother wants to know, should she get a free

My 70-year-old mother wants to know, should she get a free 3-strain flu shot or pay $40 for the 4-strain shot?

Chris C. :

Hello! I will be assisting you this evening. These quadrivalent vaccines will guard against four strains of flu rather than the usual three.

Chris C. :

The traditional vaccine protected against three influenza strains which are two common Type A strains called H1N1 and H3N2, and one strain of Type B.

Chris C. :

These include the subtypes of those strains that experts consider most likely to cause illness that winter.

Chris C. :

The fourth strain is used in kids since they tend to catch the newly added strain more often.

Chris C. :

Given her age there is no harm if she were to get the $40 4 strain shot but it is not likely going to have any more benefit to her than the standard 3 strain shot that she can get for free.

Chris C. :

Chris C. :

Chris C. :

Chris C. :

Chris C. :