Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

Substitute for cranberries

Is there any food or supplement that I can take that does not contain salicytic acid to maintain a healthy urinary tract? I just found out that cranberries contain this, and I have trouble with saiicytic acid. Is it ok to take 500 mg of cranberry capsule containing cranberry powder  if I drink lots of fluids, say 10-12 cups per day?

Chris C. :

Hello! I will be assisting you today. The reason cranberry juice is good for the urinary tract is the fact that is lowers the ph of the urine. The ph of cranberry juice is a ph of 4 (the scale is 0-14 with the lower the more acidic and the higher the more basic). An alternative that is used by most eastern medicine practitioners is diluted vinegar with a ph of 4.25 for apple cider vinegar. Distilled "white" vinegar has a lower ph of 3 and is around 5 to 8% acetic acid. This is caused by the acetic acid in the vinegar. The vinegar will do the same thing as the cranberry without containing any salicycic acid. The lower ph in the urinary tract makes it unsuitable for bacteria to grow and that is why it prevents and helps resolve infections.

Chris C. :

Vinegar has been used for thousands of years.

Chris C. :

You can sweeten with honey and it makes a decent (IMHO) tasting drink.

Chris C. :

Cat you8 see my reply?

Chris C. :

Cranberry juice contains 7mg salicylic acid per liter of juice.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How much vinegar should I take each day?

It is recommended to drink 2 ounces a day. This can be added to another drink but it is preferable to just dilute it with water.