Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

my 19 year old son has been diagnosed with High Functioning

my 19 year old son has been diagnosed with High Functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder. What services can we contact for help for him to learn to overcome his deficits esp Social Learning etc.

Thank you for using JustAnswer Health/Pearl for your question

I would be more than happy to get a list of both local and online resources for you related to Aspergers . It would help to know the City, County or zip code that you live in so that I can best locate your local resources.

Additionally, I will need some time to get this together, due to the fact that I am also working another position, but should get the information back to you by later this evening, if not earlier. I will need the location first though to find your local resources.

I
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, we live in Park City, UT, Summit County zip 84098

Thank you so much!

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX back with you soon.
Thank you for waiting.

Here is a list of therapist that list Asperger's Syndrome (the prior name used for High Functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder.) in your area. An individual therapist can be helpful in identifying specific goals, as well as will be familiar with your local support groups and resources. Double click on a name to find complete details including address and contact information for the following:

Ms. Clover Sanders

Roxi Nelson

Nancy M Sutton

Kate Yoder

Audrey Duross

The above list is for the zip code 84098 only. if you would like to continue your search outside of that zip code, here is a list of clinicians who include Aspergers as an area of experience for the whole state of Utah: Utah Asperger's Clinicians

Next, on the following link you will find a PDF copy of "A Guide To Utah Resources For Adults With Autism Spectrum Disorders And Their Families" This is a very extensive list of services for any type of Autism effecting adults:

Utah Resources

An article that you might find helpful discussing how to explain to relatives, neighbors, etc. what having high functioning autism is like for the individual see this article from the Autism Support Network website:

"Tourist" in his native country

An individual therapist will be able to identify a support group and/or group therapy for your son when he is ready. In the meantime, you may find this a helpful guide to begin to teach him about ways to engage with others more easily (or he may like to study this information himself):

Helpguide.org's Effective Communication (and more)

I hope the above will provide you with what you need to find the best services for your son. Please do reply if you had something else in mind or there are aspects of my answer that you need more help with. I will be more than happy to assist you further!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you! XXXXX list was actually the most helpful piece. These sites/ organizations are difficult to find when just browsing the web.

Have a great day.

Good to hear! Thank you.