Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

This question is in regards XXXXX XXXXX Im a 26 year old

This question is in regards XXXXX XXXXX I'm a 26 year old male and I've struggled on and off with them becoming external since I was in late high school. But generally they went away and haven't been an issue. This time however seems different. Anyways I became sick on day and tried to produce a BM with a bad stomache ache. I didn't succeed but the external hemorrhoid reappeared. It seemed larger this time but I wasn't worried because I figured it would go away eventually. But then yesterday I worked a 12 hour active shift. Lots of walking, lifting, climbing and during this shift I produced a very hard BM and continued on walking and lifting and such in pain. By the end of the day walking hurt and my hemorrhoid hasn't stopped bleeding yet. It's going through my underwear and pants. It's pretty painful. Something I should go in for or just give it time? Sorry for the lengthy unappealing question.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

Is there any swelling outside the anus?

When did the bleeding become so severe?

Did you try any medicine?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not sure if there is swelling. I'd imagine so because it is pretty painful. The bleeding I would assume became severe after that BM during that 12 hour shift. And no I haven't tried any medicine since the bleeding started. Like I said it's enough to soak through boxers and into jeans. Thanks. Just wondering if this is something that could heal on its own or do you think I will have to have some sort of procedure done?

Thank you Jordan, for the information,

External hemorrhoid can cause a swelling on the anal margin with pain.

If ruptured it can cause bleeding..

Other probable is a prolapsed internal hemorrhoid.

Polyp can also protrude from anus.

I would suggest to get it checked by doctor in the ER when the bleeding is so severe.

You need to start treatment without delaying.

Excessive blood loss can cause anemia, fall of blood pressure.

You can take sitz bath which is to sit in warm water for 10 -15 min.

Antihemorrhoid cream like preparation H can be applied, meanwhile.

I hope this information helps.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.

If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent. If you want to click poor or bad service, please stop & feel free to reply & ask till you are satisfied.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification. I hope to work with you again soon!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So you suggest I go in and get it checked out? Something I've been trying to avoid I guess. What actions do you think they will take and how long of a recovery could this be? I'm big into weight training, is that something I will be kept away from for a while?

With such bleeding, you need to start treatment.

The treatment options varies according to the severity & type of the condition.

It can require excision, ligation etc.

The recovery can take a few weeks.

You should avoid exertion till recovery.