Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

My physician informed me that I may have mild hernia. Is it

My physician informed me that I may have mild hernia. Is it best to get it operated now? I am 32 years old, 150lbs and do not have any other diseases. Or is there a benefit in waiting?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

In which part of the body? Is it in the groin?

What are your symptoms?

When was it diagnosed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is in the right groin. I used to have decent pain during last year. I reduced the amount of physical workout tremendously and I am a couch potato now except that I take my dog to walk every day for 2-3 miles. The pain reduced by more than half. But I am not liking this type of life style.

Symptoms - Whenever I bend to pick up any think from the floor i used to feel the pain. No bulge in the groin area. It looks normal. Also, when i lie down and i try to lift my right leg up it hurts me in the right groin. I went to see the specialist sometime last year during the month of August. And since then, I reduced the amount of physical activity I do regularly.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Did you consult a surgical specialist?

What was his opinion?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. I did and he said, he can feel that there is very mild hernia and suggested surgery as there is no other treatment. but I am nervous about it.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information,

The treatment of hernia is surgical.

Often treatment depends on symptoms & discomfort you are feeling.

In small hernias with no symptoms, sometimes wait & watch approach is taken.

But often it has been observed that surgery is needed.

As you are having some symptoms & surgeon has felt that operation is need, I would advise to follow his advice.

In planned surgery, the risk is less.

Sometimes hernia can get obstructed & strangulated.

In that cases it will need emergency operation & there can be complications.

I hope this information helps.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.

If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent. If you want to click poor or bad service, please stop & feel free to reply & ask till you are satisfied.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification. I hope to work with you again soon!

Regards
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 35 years of experience