Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

Hello, would you please simply explain what my ex-rays have

Hello, would you please simply explain what my ex-rays have indicated and what would the preferred recommendation of treatment, Chiropractor or physical therapy? I am a 50yr young female. My doctor mailed me this finding and suggested over the phone that I seek therapy.

Normal Vertebral alignment. Disc spaces are well-preserved except for mild narrowing at C4-C5 and C5-C6 and some degree of sclerosis of the posterior vertebral margin. Findins are most likely those of degenerative change. Oblique views show significant narrowing of the neural foramina at c4-c5 and c5-c6 bilaterally, due to uncovertebral spurring.

Normal prevertebral soft tissues.

IMPRESSION:
Degenerative changes with significant bilateral foraminal narrowing at C4-C5 and C5-C6 due to uncovertebral sprruing. Probable degenerative change at C4-C5 and C5-C6 with disc space narrowing and sclerosis of the posterior vertebral body margins.

Thank you
Cindy
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Degenerative changes with significant bilateral foraminal narrowing at C4-C5 and C5-C6 due to uncovertebral sprruing. Probable degenerative change at C4-C5 and C5-C6 with disc space narrowing and sclerosis of the posterior vertebral body margins....

These X ray findings suggest that you are having cervical spondylosis with nerve compression at C4-5 and C5-6 levels.

Since you have not begun any treatment, you need to see a physical therapist. A physical therapist can teach you exercises to help stretch and strengthen the muscles in your neck and shoulders. Some people with cervical spondylosis may benefit from the use of traction, which can help provide more space within the spine if nerve roots are being pinched.

If you ar having neck pain, you will need pain killers like advil / motrin and muscle relaxants to reduce muscle spasm due to the cervical spondylosis. This is generally good enough as an initial therapy and if you do not show improvement in the next 3 to 6 months, you may need active treatment like steroid shots at the sites of pain.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please leave behind a positive feedback if you liked my answer to give credit for my time and expertise. Bonuses are warmly appreciated.

If you have any further question, I would be happy to help you.