Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

I have a diagnosis of bipolar disorder with a recent depressive

I have a diagnosis of bipolar disorder with a recent depressive episode in which my dr added Lamotrigine now currently at 250 mgs per day because he does not want me to take anti-depressants. i also take 20 mgs of Abilify and .5 mgs of Clonazepam. during my depression i noticed that my symptoms were worse later in the day. I thought I was starting to feel somewhat better but now for about the last week, i notice i wake up in a very sad mood, i would describe as being melancholy. It would be safe to say that i have been "melancholy" in the early morning as far back as my childhood years. Can depressive symptoms change like this or is something else happening? thanks for your input

Thank you for using JustAnswer/Pearl for you concern.

The quality and time of depressed moods can indeed change and in fact this is normal. But if the moods grow increasingly difficult to pull out of, or become more intense or changeable to a great degree, then this of course will need to be monitored and discussed with your doctor in order to see if additional medication changes are needed.

While some change in moods is to be expected, it is very important with a diagnosis of depression, and/or diagnosis of bipolar disorder, to make note of, or to chart your mood changes. In fact, I would encourage you to write down your moods daily, either on a calendar or a journal. This can help you and your doctors to see any patterns, and also will help you to correlate, if there are for example, any seasonal changes; time of day or month changes; or whether mood changes are related to various events in your life.

And even though you have been diagnosed with Bipolar and depression, which we think of as a brain disorder or a chemical disease today, there are still everyday events and unresolved issues from our past that can impact our moods. It is still helpful to participate in therapeutic activities, Whether cognitive or psychodynamic therapy, or group supportive, therapy can help one to better gain insight into moods and assist one to learn coping skills to relieve mood changes (beyond medication management, which does play an important role). Is this something that you are doing?

Please reply with any questions or to discuss anything related to this that I have not yet touched upon or that you need help with.