Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

Hi, I recently showed low lymphocytes in by blood test. I

I recently showed low lymphocytes in by blood test.
I have been unwell for around 3 years with sore throats and fatigue. That's why I had bloods taken.
Everything else was ruled out, they were pretty thorough.
The strange thing is my sister also has a history of low lymphocyte and consequently diagnosed with ME.
Could there be a genetic link possibly?
Is there any treatment that can help our immune system?
Many thanks,
Anna
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 11 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question.

I am sorry to hear of your possible diagnosis, and the sore throats and fatigue for 3 years.

The good news if it is determined that you have ME (Myalgic encephalomyelitis, currently known as CFS or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) is that studies have shown that most cases improve over time.

Because "most cases of CFS may be due to a viral infection, there is no uniformly effective therapy" (Medscape 'Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Treatment & Management'). Trials of antiviral agents have been ineffective in relieving symptoms of CFS; and "no special diet or vitamin supplementation has been found to be effective". Treatment is 'largely supportive and responsive to symptoms'

Besides the above facts, one is more likely to recover from any type of illness, if certain health measures are taken. These measures may sound basic, but in our current world we very often do not take them seriously and dont realize the value that they will bring to our physical well being. One's immune response cannot work effectively if there is inadequate sleep; poor nutrition, inadequate exercise. Although often we do not show any signs of problems from this modern lifestyle until after years of living this way.

So it can't really be stressed enough how important these 'basics' are to achieve health:

1. 8 hours of sleep (typically is easiest to achieve when one has a regular hour for going to bed and waking)

2. physical activity (engage in a form of non-stressful exercise - such as walking, leisure cycling, gardening) - once one becomes stronger, then more vigorous exercise can increase overall strength and vitality)

3. Stretching and programs such as pilates or yoga (these activities aid in lymphatic circulation, while also relieve and prevent many types of muscular and joint discomfort; strengthen muscles that stabilize the core of the body, so that one can walk, cycle, bend and kneel without pain)

4. Nutrition (usually a larger amount of fresh vegetables, fruits, and whole grains and legumes than in the typical rushed and overly processed modern diet - as there are likely micro nutrients missed when we eat primarily processed and pre-packaged foods)

5. Leisure, enjoyment, and volunteering for good causes. One's stress hormones decrease, endorphens increase (the bodies natural opiates) when one makes time for activities that bring enjoyment daily -- not once a month or week, but it is important to find time daily to participate in activities that bring joy.

Often when I list the above items, people tell me, well I already knew those things! But even if you do, do you really focus on achieving them? One can be amazed at how much just getting adequate rest can do to help fatigue. If you think you are getting adequate sleep, start literally recording how much you are getting every day to see. If one has been short on rest and relaxation for some time.... it may take some time to recover from the chronic stress that the body endures when it is constantly 'on the go'.

I hope this is helpful... but please do reply if you would like to discuss this further or feel that I have not addressed anything that you would like more information on.

Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS