Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I have been experiencing low back pain and the inability to

I have been experiencing low back pain and the inability to put any weight on my right leg and will go weak and give out on me this has started in the last week it just comes on suddenly and can't walk on it. There is some pain on the side of my thigh. I also have extreme toe pain in both feet which feels like a vice grip squeezing, this also happens if I put any pressure on my heels (no problem with walking only if I lay on my back or put my feet up) I do take lyrica for this, (heels) I previously was on max dose of gabapentine but didn't do anything). I also have this same feeling in my fingertips not as severe as my toes. I do have degenerative disc disease/osteoarthritis in my lumbar and cervical spine. I had an MRI in Jan and didn't show any stenosis, but quite a lot of degeneration. Is this possibly sciatica.
Thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.
Any history of injury?
History of Diabetes?
Any other medical history?
Are you taking any other medications?
Have you seen your doctor recently?
Do you feel numbness,tingling sensation in leg?
Do you feel pain at certain positions?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did have a dirt bike wipeout in the beginning of august, I did land on my right side. I hurt my wrist and was scraped up. I didnt seek any medical attention. I have ongoing back and neck pain which I have had for over 9 years. I have periodic numbness and tingling in my legs. I have ibs which is predominately diarrhea. It has been quite severe in the last while, and I don't always make it to the bathroom. I have also been experiencing blood in the toilet (only with diarrhea). I have diverticulosis and I get red or yellow balls that are the size of a cherry in my stool with the diarrhea and will get sometimes 15 of these balls in my stool, the inside looks like cottage cheese (dr is not concerned)
I take remeron, trazadone, nabilone, pristiq, detrol and lyrica.
Yes I saw my Dr 2 weeks ago and mentioned the blood and he didnt do anything about it or seem concerned.
The leg pain is usally when I stand on it or try and walk on it.
Thanks for providing more information.
As you describe there may be following possibilities in your case.
Peripheral neuropathy can be caused due to vitamin B deficiency ,alcohol intake, Thyroid dysfunction.

Lumbar radiculopathy (the compression of lumbar nerves L4 or L5 or sacral nerves)results in pain , numbness and tingling sensation in legs and feet.

Vascular claudication-cholesterol (plaque) build up from atherosclerosis in the legs can cause pain, numbness, and tingling while walking.
It is advised to undergo,Complete blood Count , Lipid panel , X-ray /MRI of lumbosacral spine,Color doppler study of limbs and a clinical examination by a neurologist for further evaluation.

And adding in an opioid such as codeine or tramadol with physical therapy is used in the meantime to control the pain.
Take Multivitamin containing Vitamin B complex.
Take proper rest.
Take short breaks of rest while doing work.
Eat low-fat meats and dairy products and include lots of fruits, vegetables and whole grains in your diet.
As you have blood in stool so colonoscopy,Stool analysis should be done in your case.
Persistent blood in stool result in anemia.

I hope this helps.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.
Positive feedback and bonus are highly appreciated.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. Is there anything I should watch for that may require a visit to the ER as I stated previously I doubt my Dr will order any of these tests as he keeps saying you had a colonoscopy a year and a half ago and an MRI in January.
I live in Canada and although we have free medical care, we dont always get the same care that the US does.
As you are unable to walk without pain so you shouldn't ignore your symptoms and if possible visit ER for prompt management.
Sometimes pain gets worse over the time.

I hope this helps.
Thank you.

Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience: M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.