Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained
16455829

I am taking a drug test and took a valium 10 days ago

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 1 year ago.
Hello.
I am a medical review officer trained in the interpretation of drug tests.
What kind of drug test?
Is this a prescription for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I take xanax and by perscription a and have a drug test tomorrow. I also took a valium 10 days ago without a script. I am worried that when the test goes to gcms it will pick the valium out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pre employment
Valium lasts between 7-10 days in the urine. So it appears that you will just squeak by :-)
I hope this helped
Please leave positive feedback if it did :-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am worried if the xanax causes a positive on the emit test and they send it to the gcms it will show the longer half life's of the valium, which I do not have a perscription for, is that something I need to worry about?
No because it has already metaboliZed and left your system
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the nordiazepam 200 half life will be totally out of my system and undetectable?
Valium is diazepam. And that is correct. Please don't forget a positive rating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was just thinking this would be the motabolite that is looked at with the gc ms machine. So it would pick it upSo you are saying the gc ms machine will not pick up the diazepam
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

Answers provided are for informational use only and don't confer patient-provider relationship. My name isXXXXX and I will do help you.

That is correct. Each drug (and metabolite) has its own chemical "footprint" detectable by GC/MS. The equipment can differentiate between metabolites of Xanax versus Valium. There is next to no chance that there is enough Valium metabolite left in your system to trigger a positive result via GC/MS.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Hi
for some reason it opted me out

Anyway

The metabolites of diaZepam and Xanax are not the same
The gc/ms will detect both because they are chemically different .

But you would have ALREADY METABOLIZED AND ELIMINATED THE DIAZEPAM by your test
So you will only test positive for the Xanax for which you have a prescription

Don't worry!

As I said before- I am medical review officer- interpreting these tests is my specialty! :-)

Please leave positive feedback if this helped ! :-)
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained