Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I am a long time diabetic. Recently (9/18/13) I had to go

I am a long time diabetic. Recently (9/18/13) I had to go on insulin for my diabetes. I have not seen a doctor for it since March of this year. Been holding off going because of no insurance. I decided to go to the doctor and we decided I needed to go on insulin. Right now my blood sugar is bouncing from 360 to 415. I do not want to go to the emergency room. I cannot afford it. I already have a huge medical bill all ready and as such, I cannot take on another payment.

I have insulin with me and I am very far from home (another reason why I do not want to go to the emergency room). Should I give myself a higher dose shot? I am up to 10 units twice a day right now. My doctor said I can raise it 2 to 3 units about every 3 days. I started at 5 units.

You should check your blood sugar levels and since you have a high blood sugar level you can increase your dose by 3 units twice a day from the present 10 units.

But you should keep monitoring your blood sugar levels after 1-2 hrs after insulin treatment.
Also in case you notice any symptoms like dizziness etc you should check your blood sugar levels.
From my clinical experience i do think that your blood sugar levels are high and raising 3 units will not result in hypoglycemia.

The main concern in such cases is to make sure that patient don't suffer from hypoglycemia.
So you can safely increase your dose by 3 units and check your blood sugar levels after 1-2 hours.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Right now I am feeling fine. No headache, not dizzy. But I am urinating quite frequently. That is what caused me to go to the doctor last week. Should I do anything now? My last shot was around 6pm (10:30 pm now) Current Blood Sugar is 360. Down from 409 at 10:10 this evening.

Frequent urination is due to high blood sugar levels.
Classical sign of Diabetes.
As of now you should take the next dose tomorrow morning at your scheduled time(13 units) and check your blood sugar levels before and after the shot.
Also you should take your meal immediately after the shot.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Smile

Thank You.