Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I recently developed an enormous pimple in the middle of my

I recently developed an enormous pimple in the middle of my back. I am 59, have never had a problem with acne, and was surprised when this large blemish appeared. My massage therapist said that it could have been caused by an issue with a vertabrae. Is this possible?

Anthony Bray, MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray, MD : NO!! Your back pimple is not related to your vertebrae!
Anthony Bray, MD : You may have a simple boil or could have a sebaceous cyst...
Customer:

Thank you - I figured that was a little "far out"! Just curious.

Anthony Bray, MD : You may get an infection that gets down into a pore and gets a foothold at any point in life... This may produce the smal pimple or somewhat angrier and larger boil...
Anthony Bray, MD : at times the glands that produce oils for the hairs of the skin may become trapped under the skin and build up a cyst of this material over time .
Anthony Bray, MD : such a cyst can be large and stubborn. They may or may not be infected as well...
Anthony Bray, MD : So if the place is concerning my large, red, tender then don't hesitate to get your doctor's help with it...
Anthony Bray, MD : Sometimes a sebaceous cyst will benefit from excision and a round of antibiotic to get it cleared up...
Customer:

It was certainly stubborn, but gone now. Thank you very much.

Anthony Bray, MD : I hope this is helpful for you!
Anthony Bray, MD : hopefully your pimple or boil or other will not be much trouble to you!
Customer:

Very. Again, thank you. It's not fair to have to use acne cream and wrinkle cream at the same time!

Anthony Bray, MD : You are very welcome!
Anthony Bray, MD : best regards!