Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

Help. Yesterday I went into the urgent care center with terrible

Help. Yesterday I went into the urgent care center with terrible abdominal pain below my belly button. They said it was inflammation of the colon, and gave me an anti-inflammatory. Now it's been over 24 hours, I haven't been able to have a bowel movement, and I feel like something big is stuck inside me. The pain is terrible, and every hour I have a small liquid bowel movement. A few MLs of what looks like liquid. I can feel that there's more to push, but it will not move. My stomach is 3x its normal size, and I feel awful. What can I do?

Dr. Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX will try to assist you with your medical question and any medical information you seek.

Dr. Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this

Dr. Brims :

Can you pass gas?

Dr. Brims :

Can you see my replies?

Customer:

Sorry - no.. My browser crashed, I had to restart.

Dr. Brims :

Can you pass gas?

Customer:

No, when I try to, all that comes out is this mucousy light brown/orangey liquid.

Dr. Brims :

I see, any blood in your stool?

Customer:

Not that I can tell. I haven't had any solid stool since yesterday morning. I normally have 4 bowel movements a day.

Dr. Brims :

And the pain is still bad?

Customer:

Yes. I've taken acetaminophen and ibuprofen to help dull it a bit. But I feel like I'm pregnant. I've never had this before.

Dr. Brims :

You are likely constipated and you may have hard feces causing an obstruction in your large intestine

Dr. Brims :

If it get worse you will have to go to the ER for a CT scan

Customer:

I see. That's what it feels like. What can I do about it?

Dr. Brims :

You can only wait, anything you try may make it worse, stool softeners could help but you already have liquid stool, so I would recommend waiting for a few hours, and if it gets worse you need to return to the ER

Customer:

Okay. I'm hungry because I haven't eaten much today. Is it still okay to eat?

Dr. Brims :

If you cannot pass gas then I would not advise it because you may make it worse (the bloating)

Dr. Brims :

If you can pass gas then you may be fine to eat

Customer:

Okay. Thank you for your help. If it doesn't move by morning, I'll go back to the ER.

Dr. Brims :

You're very welcome

Dr. Brims :

If you have any other questions on this topic please feel free to ask

Customer:

Thank you.