Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience

Did I have a seizure? I was at the gym today and I had some

Did I have a seizure?

I was at the gym today and I had some sort of episode, it was the first day of a newer more intensive program and I pushed myself more than I perhaps should have. I was sitting on one of the machines there when I started to feel light headed as if I was going to pass out. I didn't pass out, but my vision blurred and it was sort of like when you stare at a light and you keep seeing an image of it afterwards except that it was several lights all over. The trainers tried to talk to me but for a while I couldn't respond though I was conscious and their voices sounded a bit muffled. After I was able to talk again I still felt dizzy and my sight took a few more minutes to return to normal. After a few more minutes it was like nothing had happened, no headache or other remaining issue.

The reason I suspect a seizure is that I'm on anti-depressants, specifically Abilify and Wellbutrin (15mg and 300mg respectively), a combination with seizures as a potential side effect, not to mention I increased the dosage of Abilify a couple of days ago. If it wasn't a seizure, what was it? What caused it specifically and how can I avoid it in the future? Also, would you recommend I decrease my dosage?

Depending on how long it takes to respond I might not be able to reply until tomorrow. Thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX will try to assist you with your medical question and any medical information you seek.

Dr. Brims :

This was not a seizure

Dr. Brims :

You will not have any memory of it if it is a seizure

Dr. Brims :

Also, you will not feel it coming

Dr. Brims :

This was likely due to stress, called syncope, and was likely your bodies response to being overworked

Dr. Brims :

In the future, I would recommend drinking adequate fluid and sugar before you exercise

Customer:

So that's it, I don't need to worry?

Dr. Brims :

No need to worry, but make sure you drink enough fluids and enough calories before and during exercise

Customer:

Just out of curiosity, what would a seizure feel like?

Dr. Brims :

You will lose consciousness and you will not remember anything that happened just before or after

Customer:

So as long as I remember what happened it's definitely not a seizure.

Dr. Brims :

That is correct

Customer:

Okay then, thank you.

Dr. Brims :

You're quite welcome

Dr. Brims :

If you have any questions in the future you may request me "Dr Brims"

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience