Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Dr.: I am a year old man in generally good health. Yesterday

Dr.: I am a 69 year old man in generally good health. Yesterday morning (Monday) I woke up with pain in the upper portion of my left leg (above the knee and toward to "back" of my foot. This persisted for the entire day. Than this morning (Tuesday) I woke up and the pain had MOVED from where it was yesterday to the LOWER portion of my left leg, just above the heel, and again on the "inside" of my foot. That pain persists now.
I do play tennis rather regularly with my 15 year old son, and did so on Sunday, but I have never had any adverse physical issues as a result, and did not twist my ankle or leg while playing or afterwards. My wife is concerned that there is a blood clot and it moved down my leg. Any advise you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Hello Michael ,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Do you have redness, swelling, tenderness in calf?
Are you on any medications?
Any significant past medical illness or surgery?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your response.

No, there is no redness, swelling, or tenderness in either the calf

or the area where I felt the pain yesterday.

I am on a number of medications, but my RX's have not changed for

a number of years and I would really think it has nothing to do with any medications I am taking.

No past significant medical issues, except that I have medulary sponge kidneys, which previously caused me to have (painful) kidney stones, but

I have not had any stones in perhaps 5+ years. Thank you

Thank you Michael for the detailed response.

Your symptoms are quite unlikely to be due to blood clot. The usual symptoms which would be suspicious of blood clot (deep venous thrombosis) are;

1) pain in calf, ankle, foot.
2) swelling in calf
3) warmth in calf
4) tenderness
5) pain on moving the foot towards you.

The risk factors for blood clot are;

1) prolonged bed rest due to any reason
2) sitting long hours like flying.
3) hereditary factors or family history
4) inflammatory bowel disease
5) smokers
6) heart failure.

The exact reason for your pain is difficult unless a physical examination is done. Since it migrated from upper part of leg to lower part; this is most likely to be a muscular issue. Many times, one may not recognize trivial injury during playing and this is the likely cause of the pain.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. Once you are satisfied, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.