Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Im in the middle of adjusting my thyroid med. Two hours ago

Im in the middle of adjusting my thyroid med. Two hours ago my heart started pounding hard and fast. I chewed up 3 81mg's of aspirin and took 1mg of lorazepam. It slowed down but now Im really weak. I've long history of lung problems. Lost .04 of my left lung 3 1/2 yrs ago. Im wearing oxygen cuz Im having a little trouble breathing. What does this mean? Its after hours so I can't call my clinic.

Hello Janice ,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

The causes of hard and fast pounding of heart can be;

1) Overactive thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism)
2) An abnormal heart rhythm (arrhythmia).
3) Caffeine
4) Medications
5) Stress or anxiety.

With your past medical history and concomitant medical issues, it is recommended that you should go to an urgent care clinic or emergency room to get an EKG for the cautionary purpose and to rule out abnormal heart rhythm.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. Once you are satisfied, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what does the weakness mean?
Hello Janice,

Weakness may not point to any specific issue or diagnostic to the previous episode of heart pounding; as it can occur secondary to all the issues including stress, anxiety, medications, arrhythmia etc. If the weakness is profound, again it is a pointer and emphasizing for getting an evaluation by the doctor.

It is privilege assisting you.