Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

for dr. anthony bray: stools continue to be very light brown/tan.

for dr. anthony bray: stools continue to be very light brown/tan. they dont float and are always formed, however they are smelly. even as im eating alot of fried foods, im not putting back on the weight which makes me wonder. i was 161 and when i seem to weigh myself, im not losing weight, but im not gaining ethier. i weight 166 today with my clothes and shoes on, 164 with shoes off. i weighed myself after i ate as well.

Anthony Bray, MD : Hello again!
Anthony Bray, MD : I really think you are worry here without need!
Anthony Bray, MD : Weight of 164 which is basically stable >> no problem!!
Anthony Bray, MD : Light brown stools --- this does not indicate anything wrong either!!

how come i read about liver and gall bladder problems?

thats my fear is that there are so many different opinions out there

some say light brown/tan is normal, others say see your dr. if it lasts more than a few days cause it could malsabortion or something?

Anthony Bray, MD : You have not indicated anything to me so far to make me think you have any problem with gallbladder or liver!!
Anthony Bray, MD : shades of brown are normal!
Anthony Bray, MD : You are only person I recall ever to worry about brown stool???

its because of what im reading

Anthony Bray, MD : I have people worry about yellow stools or green but shades of brown... Never....
Anthony Bray, MD : What could you be reading to make you worry about such being and normal findings? That is curious to me...
Anthony Bray, MD : Benign... These spell check programs!!

when you google tan stool

there are alot of people who say tan/light brown stool means lack of bile

and fat is not absorbing

others say tan is normal, it just means its going through your system fast

Anthony Bray, MD : Are they really THAT light? I suspect that this is not likely the case. If you did not absorb fat due to pancreatic insufficiency then you could have very light tab to yellowish stool that floated. Most common is going to be long time chronic alcoholic with five or six hospitalization a for previous pancreatitis...
Anthony Bray, MD : you do not seem to fit...

i cant tell anymore

they are brown, but light brown

look tan

not yellow, or white

Anthony Bray, MD : The stool will start green due to bile but bacteria change pigments to brown ...
Anthony Bray, MD : different pathologies may alter the color if stool such as bowel infections for example but most people do not have constant color of stool entirely either due to variety of diet...
Anthony Bray, MD : mild variations in the color of stool should not really be any cause for concern though...

but its most common light brown/tan now

they only time its looked darker is when ive ate chocolate cake or cupcakes

then its more of a normal color

Anthony Bray, MD : So if I were you I would not worry about mild variations of color of the stool as your only symptom. Now if you have diarrhea, abdominal pain, diarrhea , fever or other concerning symptoms then yes-- these would become reason for concern...

not in pain and not having diarrhea

stools always seem formed and do not float

sometimes ill make alot though...4 or 5 pieces broken up

other times, it will be pebble looking

Anthony Bray, MD : You are fine with no reason to worry at this time then!! Relax!!
Anthony Bray, MD : The pebble consistency is mild form of constipation.... A bulking agent or stool softener may be of benefit... Plenty of fluids recommended on general ...
Anthony Bray, MD : Strive to worry less in general with regard to your health though. I do encourage you to take good care of yourself and submit to yearly physicals as you age but try not to obsess over minor things or worry to excess.... Easier said than done i realize...

one thing that i have noticed

this really all started once i started taking a probiotic

i read that stool can be darker brown because of bacteria in your system

but a probiotic helps clean that up

Anthony Bray, MD : Well a probiotic should be protective of you and reduce risk of pathological infection. The change in bacteria population could be expected to alter the color of the stool to an extent but this would be harmless effect. Nothing there that should cause you worry...
Anthony Bray, MD : So the probiotic is a good idea , I agree with that...

i just wanna know im ok

im not there yet

Anthony Bray, MD : Well let me know if you have further concerns or questions and I will be happy to get back with you!
Anthony Bray, MD : I think that you sound very healthy and in a fortunate place from a health standpoint! So I think you should keep up good health habits but try to reduce your stress and worry...
Anthony Bray, MD : Take care! Let me know if you have further concerns and I will be happy to get back with you!
Anthony Bray, MD : Best regards,
Anthony Bray, MD : Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Doctor. A new day, but im feeling even worse. Stools were yellowish today and a little loose. Also, this pain in my rib cage had returned. I didnt even want to eat lunch today. I talked to another doc on here who said that she believed that i could have a problem that is being missed and that mri is better than CT. Is that true?

Hello !

Well from your history so far, this new change sounds more along the lines of a possible GI infection coming on. I do not think that you would be best served by an MRI at this time, NO... You might have benefit to have stool sent for testing which may include cultures, ova and parasites , white cells, and C. diff.

This bout of loose stools may benefit from a simple treatment with Pepto Bismol. This is what I would use as a first line agent vs an unknown gastroenteritis. (Now this product will cause a chalky blackish discoloration of the stools temporarily so if you use it and see that do not be alarmed!!)

If you are so sick that you need medical care then a stool study sent to the lab would be what is more appropriate and NOT an MRI however!!

MRI would at this point be ridiculous and expensive overkill to no end result being expected...

I hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have further questions or if I may be of further help! Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD