Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

Hi Doc....What is the proper treatment for hyponatremia? His

Hi Doc....What is the proper treatment for hyponatremia? His chloride is 96 and sodium 130. He thinks he isdiluting his electrolytes by drinking lots of water but his other electrolytes are normal so its not water,right?
Also, they are telling him to up his salt and he is using salt on his meals. I feel since his sodium ihas been consistently LOW they should be looking for an underlying cause. I feel their is enough salt in food and he shouldnt be using salt because his BP has been up. His BP was 122/54 with pulse of 45 yessterday which I didn't like. Can you comment?Many thanks

Dr. Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX will try to assist you with your medical question and any medical information you seek.

Dr. Brims :

The treatment for hyponatramia is not water

Dr. Brims :

If his sodium is 130 then usually water restriction is the treatment

Dr. Brims :

Drinking lots of water will make it worse

Dr. Brims :

His BP of 122/54 is within the normal range, it is not high

Customer:

I cant read in this format

Dr. Brims :

So you are unable to see my replies?

Dr. Brims :

I can change the format if you cannot see them

Customer:

Can you switch? My ? is what is the treatment? What are "dos and don'ts"? You didn't say anything about HR.

Customer:

Thanks

Dr. Brims :

I will switch the format

The treatment is centered around treating the underlying cause, fluid restriction is usually involved if it is mild like his case. His heart rate is low , bit it is not likely related to the hyponatremia. If his pulse is 45 and it has never been that low before, he needs to go to an ER, because he will likely require a pacemaker if he has symptoms of a low hear rate
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks....He has been low sodium,like this, for years. How dooes one restrict water...drink 4 instead of 8 ozs? What tests should be done to find the underlying cause?

Can using salt with his meals cause the BP to rise if he has low sodium?

Thanks

Most patients will respond to fluid restriction of 800 mL/day, but the goal is to get to 130meq of sodium or higher, so it is not necessary to correct his sodium if it is currently 130. Salt can cause his BP to rise, if he has low sodium. The tests to evaluate the cause are serum and urine osmolality and urine sodium and chloride
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

SO, since he has HTN which is somewhat controlled the docs should NOT be telling him to salt his food?

What is 800ml in ozs?

Also, on his bloodwork, his TSH was 7.16 but his T4Free is 1.1

What does all this mean?Thanks!

Salt with his food is fine since his HTN is controlled

800ml = 27 oz

His TSH is high, but his T4 is normal so there is nothing to worry about with his thyroid