Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I recently started itching randomly all over my body, no rash,

I recently started itching randomly all over my body, no rash, no bites. My skin feels "tingly/prickly" until I rub it or scratch it, then it seems to sooth it only to start somewhere else. it "feels" like I'm getting bitten by small insects. On hindsight, the tingly until I rub it sensation I've had for sometime (before synthroid) never really giving it much importance, but now it is out of control with the other symptoms added. Another unusual thing I've noticed is that when I do scratch my skin seems to "retain" the scratched feeling for five minutes or more. Hard to explain.
I have used OTC meds to treat what I thought was a yeast infection since it seemed to start there and also around my anal area. Has helped that area some, but not the rest.
Had physical and blood work 2 months ago. Low thyroid was found and I have been on synthroid 0.05mg for almost 2 months now, getting ready to retest. I am also on Wellbutrin and Lipitor. Been on both for many years. I am not under any unusual amount of stress.
In the last week it has gotten severe in the sense that it goes on all day. It does seem worse at night. I have started using gold bond powder for symptoms, not really sure if it is helping.
I have changed bed linens, switched to sensitive skin body wash, and even one specifically for "delicate" areas.
I don't know how to narrow it down to something in my home? or medically with me. I'm also no sure whether to see a general physician, a dermatologist, or my gyn.
I have read similar symptoms on MANY forums on line and they go from the obvious to what seems the ridiculous. I do not want this feeling for another minute! What is my next course of action?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--how long has this been going on and absolutely no rash or redness? Have you tried any antihistamines?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As I said earlier, pretty much in the last week with the itching. No rash, no redness anywhere. I have not tried antihistamines.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK Patricia. All I can do here is give you the differential diagnosis list but you'll have to have your doctor check things out. This could be an allergic phenomenon but without any rash that isn't very likely. Other possibilities are liver or kidney problems, anemia, undertreated thyroid disease, heavy metal (mercury or lead) toxicity, and perhaps an autoimmune disorder like lupus. I'd start with your GP for the initial workup here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the possibilities and I will start out with my GP.

In your expert opinion, would you consider it being related to mites, fungal infection or any type of parasite?

I was given a sample of clotrimazole and betamethasone dipropionate cream which seemed to help the small area I applied it on as a trial.

Lastly, is there such a thing as a "systemic" yeast infection? I am trying to wrap my head around maybe having had a very asymptomatic yeast infection for some time that suddenly "ran wild."

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Without any rash it isn't likely fungal, mites, or parasites. A systemic yeast infection, while it can occur, would have made you deathly ill so I wouldn't consider that
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure Patricia but let me know how it goes and remember to rate my service to you