Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician

Hi Doctor: I just recently injured my knee. The pain is

Hi Doctor: I just recently injured my knee. The pain is slight just about gone now. My concern is about 10 years ago I severely injured my knee and had an xray and mri which revealed an enchondroma. Two Ortho MDS said it was nothing to worry about I believe they said it was small and benign. No follow up required. I have not had severe knee pain only at times when I bang it. What is an enchondroma. I am concerned because I paid no attention to it until now because I read about this on line.
Category: Health
Expert:  Robert Fernando replied 9 months ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question.

Well, Enchondroma is a benign and noncancerous cartilage tumor which appears on the inside of the bone.
Enchondroma is usually painless. But it can cause pain when it causes abnormal enlargement of the bone or it causes the bone to fracture.

Such tumors are very common, As such the cause of enchondromas is not completely clear.
Tumors without symptoms do not need to be removed.

As such, Most enchondromas require no treatment at all. You should not panic or take stress for this issue.

Surgery is required only if Enchondroma are growing in size.
If you feel enchondroma is not growing rather has remained of the same size since the diagnosis then you can safely wait.

Considering your situation of benign and small tumor, i would not panic. No need to take stress.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Doctor. Thank you for responding. I was just concerned that its been 10 years since diagnosed. Then, which, concerned me was reading that it can become a chondrosarcoma.

Dear Dolores,
Thanks for asking follow up question. I am happy to answer you further.

Enchondroma are benign tumor in the center of the bone consisting of cartilage.

As such, chances of developing into chondrosarcoma is just 1-5%
As size, has not increased in size and you don't have any other associated symptoms, so i would not panic, that it can develop into serious issue.

I can understand, that during internet search, one can get worried for having a serious issue. But as such, in our clinical practice and according to studies, you would not develop any such serious issue.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Doctor: On more quick ? How would I know if it increased in size. Would I eventually feel a lump on my knee or leg?

Dear Dolores,

Well, you may experience any of these symptoms, if its size is increasing-

-Pain at the site of the tumor
-Enlargement of the affected part and feeling of lump or swelling

As such, most of the Enchondroma are benign and noncancerous cartilage tumor.

Considering specifically your case, i would not stress, for developing into serious issue.

Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, Experienced Family Physician