Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

My menstrual cycle has become irregular, I am getting hot flashes

My menstrual cycle has become irregular, I am getting hot flashes and the whole perimenopausal craziness, I go 8 weeks with out any cycle and then 3 weeks boom it happens again. My mom went thru this early, Can perimenopause be genetic?
Category: Health
Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.

Chris C. :

Hello! I will be assisting you today.

Chris C. :

Menopause is strongly genetically linked, so you’re very likely to fall within a few years either way of the age your mother was at menopause.

Customer:

my mom went thru it at 43, so i have ten years of craziness awaiting me I guess.

Chris C. :

Also if you smoke menopause can start early as well as other factors.

Customer:

I just find it really frustrating.

Chris C. :

Yes unfortunately that is likely the case. I understand this is difficult.

Customer:

my mom smoked as well as i smoke as well but now the genetics kicked in big time.

Chris C. :

This is never a fun period of time for any woman but especially when the period is so long.

Customer:

What can I do when Hot flashes flare up like i am having them right now!!! Feel so hot and bothered!

Chris C. :

Smoking is one of the big factors along with genetics, as well as being hispanic or african american. Those are the most common and have the most influence.

Chris C. :

The doctor can prescribe medication to help lessen the symptoms but this is not a fix it just makes it easier to deal with.

Customer:

I am having a bad hotflash right now and its really making me feel lousy.

Customer:

are there any low dose creams to help me alleviate this?

Chris C. :

There are a few things to remember with hot flashes that you can try including:

Chris C. :

Stay cool. Keep your bedroom cool at night. Use fans during the day. Wear light layers of clothes with natural fibers such as cotton.

Customer:

this perimenopause has been going on for a year.

Chris C. :

Try deep, slow abdominal breathing (six to eight breaths per minute). Practice deep breathing for 15 minutes in the morning, 15 minutes in the evening and at the onset of hot flashes.

Customer:

lots of water too?

Chris C. :

Exercise daily. Walking, swimming, dancing, and bicycling are all good choices.

Chris C. :

Yes plenty of cool fluids.

Chris C. :

Water is the best option.

Chris C. :

Chill pillows; cooler pillows to lay head on at night might be helpful.

Customer:

I cannot wait till this craziness is done and no more menstrual cycles

Chris C. :

There are no quick fixes.

Chris C. :

There are some over the counter supplements that may help as well:

Customer:

at least my mom gave me the talk about this "change" in my life

Chris C. :

Vitamin B complex, Vitamin E, and Ibuprofen

Chris C. :

and

Customer:

I am allergic to ibuprofen

Chris C. :

of course any suggestions she has about how she dealt with it.

Customer:

cool

Chris C. :

Ok no ibuprofen for you then.

Customer:

what about cool showers

Customer:

are headaches a symptom of perimenopause?

Chris C. :

There are several prescription medications that can be used but these will need to be discussed with your doctor. Cool showers and anything to lower the body temp will help.

Chris C. :

Cool cloths to the forehead, armpits, etc.

Chris C. :

This will help you feel better.

Chris C. :

Also deep breathing and relaxing.

Customer:

medititation?

Chris C. :

Also avoid stress when possible as it can make things much worse.

Chris C. :

Meditation if effective for you is fine. Some people find it useful while others do not so that is up to you.

Chris C. :

It will not do harm.

Customer:

some days during hotflashes i just stay in shorts and a light tee shirt

Customer:

what a crazy time for me

Customer:

thank you so much for your help

Chris C. :

Yes this is not the norm but it will pass eventually and certain medications may help.

Chris C. :

Make sure to discuss these with your doctor including:

Chris C. :

• Catapres, Catapres-TTS, and Aldomet, blood pressure medications

• Birth control pills

• Antidepressants, such as Zoloft, Paxil, and Effexor

• Other hormones, such as Provera and Megace

• Neurontin, an anti-seizure drug

Chris C. :

These are often helpful.

Chris C. :

You are very welcome! Thanks for using Just Answer and good luck to you! Please remember to rate my service today if you don't mind.

Customer:

i feel so young to go thru perimenopause

Customer:

is this normal

Chris C. :

No this is not normal. The average age is around 40 or so to start.

Chris C. :

But

Chris C. :

With smoking and family genetics you are in the early onset.

Customer:

well you were amazing for your dvice here

Chris C. :

Thank You! Hang in there it will get better!

Chris C., Nurse
Experience: Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.