Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have been having chest pain for about a month now, now its

Customer Question

I have been having chest pain for about a month now, now it's got constant its a burning achy dull pain that is in my left shoulder to, I have had pins and needles going in my left hand now and then. Now it's gone to my right side, my neck right arm is achy and pins and needles in right hand. What could this be could it be coming to a heart attack?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--I take it you haven't seen a doctor about this as yet? Any sweating, shortness of breath, or nausea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes he did my blood pressure and it was fine he couldn't think of what it could be and just said it could be a strain but its now on my right side n pins and needles. I feel abit nausea it comes in waves now and then no shortens of breath sometimes it feels like my chest is abit tight. I've had this pain for a few weeks now in chest but now it's traveling to other places and pins and needles
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK Amy--did he at least get a chest x-ray and an EKG?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he just sent me off, I'm really worrying now. It's a dull ache in my neck now and pins and needles keep going in my right hand
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK Amy. Wish I didn't have to tell you this but you need to get to A&E right away. This is heart pain and possibly a heart attack until proved otherwise. While it could be a disk problem in the cervical and thoracic spine, all I can say is, if I were your doctor right now I'd tell you to get to the ER right away
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went to the hospital had EKG and tested me everything was fine. They said it could be inflammation of muscles in that area. Would that cause those symptoms I've been having
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Amy--are any of the muscles in the areas of your symptoms actually tender to the touch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I press down hard then yes some areas of my chest left and right and up on my chest and down the bottom of ribs are abit tender and hurt when I press down like bruised
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. Three possibilities here. One would be fibromyalgia. Another would be an autoimmune disorder like polymyalgia rheumatica. Finally you may have a disk problem in your neck. At this point if you have a primary care physician I'd suggest you discuss these possibilities with him
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the persistant aching and burning in my chest, shoulder and places and sometimes sharp pains when I breath could be those aswel
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes--that would be my differential diagnosis list for your symptoms
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for your help
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Any time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So it can not be a heart attack waiting to happen like my actuaries closing up ready for one? Or would that have shown on the ECG
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, not your heart and yes the EKG would have shown something
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dull achy pain in my neck isn't really tender to touch, is that normal with that diagnoses
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
If you have a disk problem in the neck, yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about imflamation in muscles would that be still right
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No--that part could be the fibromyalgia or the polymyalgia rheumatica
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'm going to have see my doctor again about this
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes and let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do, thanks
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Take care
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am worried its an impending heart attack. I've been reading people have gone for ECG check everything is fine they go back few days or weeks later with a heart attack or blocked artuarys I'm really worried
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is burning bad in the middle of my chest now going abit burning down the left side of my neck and arm should I go back to ane
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Need an answer now
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. Unfortunately I do not know when this may be, as the professionals come on line as they are available. You don't have to stand by, you will get an email telling you when you have received a response. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Best,

Camille

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry--I was off--how are you right now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last night it was really burning in the middle of my chest, left side of my neck and my shoulder and abit down my arm. Today it's still there but not as bad still burning in the middle and side of neck and shoulder, a few tingles and numbness and pins and needles in hands. Could it be an impending heart attack I am worried
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And the burning pain is constant. I get sharp twinges now and then near bottom of ribs when I breathe also only sometimes
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried any antacids?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No what are they
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Maalox, Mylanta, Gaviscon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure it is heart burn and that because I've got burn feeling in my neck and shoulder to and numbness and pins needles now and then in hands
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I agree. OK--I don't think this is your heart but since I can't examine you you need to get to a doctor now and get this checked out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've got an appointment 2mrw afternoon with him. You don't think it's a heart attack waiting to happen then? I'm so worried I hardly sleep thinking something is going to happen
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
If it were a heart attack you would have been in the ER by now. I still think it's the fibromyalgia and a possible disk problem but you still need your heart checked
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So it can't be the arturies blocking up
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I don't think so--your symptoms just don't fit that scenario
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks il let you know how it goes tomorrow with doctor
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Please do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a bust up ligament on my left shoulder from when I fell down the stairs about 7 years ago. He said it could be pain coming from that and to go again if its all still there in about 3 weeks. Does that sound right to you?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It could explain the neck and arm symptoms yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about the burning in my middle chest that goes into my arm shoulder and neck and the pins and needles. Would that be connected with that
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The shoulder, neck and arm symptoms could all be from the shoulder. Occasionally shoulder pain can radiate into the chest. Nothing cardiac here. Listen--this page is getting very long and I've spend a good deal of time with you here, so I'd appreciate it if you'd close the page with another rating and get back to me on a new page if you have more questions