dochealey, Senior Consultant
Experience:  Physician and Surgeon

Hello. I went to my appointment and my orthopedist said she

Hello. I went to my appointment and my orthopedist said she wasn't happy with the healing after reviewing my CT Scan. She said that she still sees the non-displaced fracture and is sending me to meet with a surgeon. She said there are three possible outcomes: 1) I need surgery (she mentioned a screw?) 2) I need more time to hearl 3) The specialist/surgeon could tell me I'm healed. I go to see this new doc on Wednesday. Should I be worried?

Hello Garry,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Where is the fracture (which bone)?
When did it occur?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Injury occured on 7/19. Was playing ice hockey and was hit on the inside of my right foot with a slapshot. After using ice, i kept on playing on it for the next couple of weeks thinking it was just a bad bruise. I finally went and got it checked out. After getting x-rays that were inconclusive, i got an mri. My orthopedist informed me on 8/8 that i had a non-displaced fractute of the navicular bone. I've been in a walking boot ever since. The last message i sent re-capped my last visit, which was yesterday. I expected better news since i feel no pain in my foot at all, even when the doc targets the specific area of injury...

Hello Garry,

It is too early to label it delayed union. Foot bones take more than 3 months to unite (fusion of the bone and 6 months for consolidation, which means strong union), so surgery at this point would not be necessary and would not be advised. You would need an x-ray at the second week of November to assess the union.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. Based on the fact that i am pain-free, do you think they will keep me in the boot until the second week of november, prior to another x-ray If so, do you suspect they will say don't bare any weight on the foot at all? I've been in the boot for over 6 weeks already.
You are very welcome, Garry. For next six weeks, ideally you should be on the boot. Some orthopedist may allow partial 20-30 percent of the body weight) since you are pain free and some may further wait for about 2 weeks to allow the weight bearing for the caution..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Wow, that would mean another 6 weeks in a boot which would ultimately mean at the very least, 12 total weeks in it. Seems like a lot considering the very first doc i saw (I've seen two) who reviewed the MRI,, didn't even mention crutches.
Hello Garry

I am the orthopaedic surgeon who discussed the issue with you couple of days back.

If there is no absolutely no pain your fracture is likely to be united.Navicular is made up of cancellous bone which has a shorter union time compared to cortical bone because of the honeycomb internal structure of the bone.

Though your specialist surgeon will be the one who makes a final decision regarding weight bearing as he will have benefit of seeing you and examining you in person and the benefit of reviewing your CT but in absence of pain or tenderness at the site of fracture there is high likelihood that you will be allowed to bear weight.
dochealey, Senior Consultant
Experience: Physician and Surgeon