Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I am on arimidex and have been for 40 months - yes, with some

I am on arimidex and have been for 40 months - yes, with some side effects but nothing I haven't been able to live with. Suddenly this past Wed. my left leg didn't seem to be able to want to take my weight while walking. It's from the back of the knee down my calf - and becomes like a Charlie horse - down into my foot - which seems to have muscle spasms. I can bend my leg / knee and flex my foot fine. When I first get up from a sleeping or sitting position, it's almost impossible to get myself moving and takes a few minutes to be able to walk - and even then it's a slow, unbalanced gait. My onco took me off the meds for the next 2 weeks to see if that might help, as again, he feels this might be a side effect of the Arimidex. I'm debating about going to the emergency room and getting xrays to see if there is something other than the meds causing this. This would be the next step my onco recommended but I'm not certain I can work like this for the next 2 weeks...thanks for any direction you can give me.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.
Associated lower back pain?
Do you have numbness,tingling sensation radiating to leg?
Any swelling,redness,skin discoloration on leg?
Are you taking any other medications?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no lower back pain.

slight tingling and numbness

no swelling or discoloration

no other meds - otc tylenol

Thanks for providing more information.
As you describe,Arimidex can cause muscle pain as it's listed side effect.
However as you have discontinued it as if it's related to medication then your pain would be subsided.
However as you have radiating pain,tingling sensation,numbness in leg at certain positions so it suggests the possibility of Lumbar radiculopathy((the compression of lumbar nerves or sacral nerves).
So further a clinical examination by an Orthopedist should be considered.
MRI/X-ray of lumbosacral spine should be advised.
In the meantime physical therapy can be helpful in your case.

I hope this helps.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.
Positive feedback and bonus are highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've only been off the arimidex for 2 days so it may still need time to see effects...agree?

Anastrozole(Arimidex) maximum concentration could be reached within 2 hours of taking the drug

The half life of Anastrozole can go up to 50 hours,
so you looking at 250 hours before the whole drug is gone.
And Arimidex's effect tends to remain in your body for 8-10 days.

I hope this helps.
Thank you.

Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience: M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.