Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

Its been over a month since I broke my pinky toe. Its still

It's been over a month since I broke my pinky toe. It's still sore Ans swollen. I just hit it again. How likely is it to re-break? It feels like clicking when I move it around.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

How is the pain now?

How is the swelling?

Do you feel increase in pain on clicking?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's still a bit tender to walk on (I still wear the surgical shoe and can't wear regular shoes). The tenderness is below the toe on the pad of my foot when I walk. It aches sometimes without pressure and I do ice it about every other day in the evening. I don't keep it up as much as I used to but sleep with a pillow under my left foot.

I can touch the pinky toe without unbearable pain, the tenderness is more at the base of the toe and surrounding area of the foot.

It still looks swollen and a little red. It feels thick, different than the right toe so I know that it's not completely healed.

It's about 8 hours since I wrote about the clicking and I can't re-create the clicking that I experienced last night.

It doesn't hurt to move it around, just the bruised, tenderness at the base as described above.

I guess I just want to know how vulnerable is the bone at this stage of the healing process? Can it break easily if I accidentally hit it "just right"? I caught the pinky toe last night while coming back into bed; it just clipped my shoe and slightly pulled it out (to the left - that is how the original break happened. The crack runs from the inside of the bone to the outside, horizontally with a tiny bone still attached, as shown on the x-ray)

Thanks for your advice. Feel free to ask more for clarification if you need.

Did you have clicking when it first broke?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I didn't notice. I didn't dare touch it because the pain was excruciating. Last night was the first time that I moved it around. And that was because I bumped it and wanted to make sure it wasn't more painful than I expected.

Thank you for all the information,

It is possible to break the bone in the healing stage.

But as there is no increase in pain or swelling it is unlikely that it broke again.

Clicking sound can occur from movement of joints of toe.

From your description it seems there was partial fracture & bones are in apposition.

It should heal well.

However, if you feel the pain increasing, or there appears any bruise or swelling, please get it examined by doctor.

Please keep your foot elevated when it is possible.

I hope this information helps.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.

If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent. If you want to click poor or bad service, please stop & feel free to reply & ask till you are satisfied.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification. I hope to work with you again soon!