Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

NURSE MILLI ONLY-: I have been using the Biofreeze on a more-or-less

NURSE MILLI ONLY-:
I have been using the Biofreeze on a more-or-less frequent basis for maybe a week now....
Category: Health
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 10 months ago.

I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. Unfortunately I do not know when this may be, as the professionals come on line as they are available. You don't have to stand by, you will get an email telling you when you have received a response. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Best,

Camille

Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 10 months ago.

Hi there!! That is actually a good question. But let me ask you this first....tell me again, did your Dr ever do a MRI on that shoulder?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not yet- he said he might do one plus another X Ray- from a diff angle than the last one-on Oct 24 when I have app't to check on my hip replacement-- he will make sure the hip is OK w/ a hip X Ray and ck the shoulder THEN....
Oh okay...I see. Well, as far as your question goes about 'masking' problems....sometimes with chronic diseases such as arthritis, the medications are the treatment-basically you just treat the symptoms. However, if you have a structural problem or injury, then yes, the medication and Biofreeze will just 'mask' the issue so to speak because the originating problem is not being addressed. But in your case, (correct me if I'm wrong), your Dr thinks you may have some arthritis??
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The doctor said I do have some arthritis there. I also have a small bone spur. What do you think?
Well, for the arthritis, the medications and home comfort measures are your best bet.

For bone spurs that limit your range of motion or press on nerves, they may require surgical removal but only as a last resort.

If your dr does decide to a MRI, that might shed some additional light on what exactly is going on.

I would continue the Biofreeze and the medication if it helps you. But for surgery advice, that would depend on the MRI. I would make sure to have the MRI if I were considering surgery vs a regular xray. An X-ray can only show so much.

Hope you've had a wonderful Saturday'
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi, Nurse Milli-:

I won't be having the MRI until probably after my appointment w/my hip surgeon , which is scheduled for Oct. 24th....At that time, he is going to check how well the hip replacement is progressing, and "look" at my shoulder--He will decide on whether or not i require both an additional set of shoulder X-Rays and or the MRI at that time....

(I suppose he will be taking an X-Ray of my "new" hip at that time as well!).

I AM continuing w/all of the meds you mentioned....I a,m just concerned that they may mask my progress or LACK of (shoulder)progress....

I totally understand. Sometimes we take medicine and feel fine and wonder why we're taking it. But that just means the medicine is working. Reminds me of a poor soul I was taking care of up on the cardiac ICU floor. This gentleman told me he was tired of taking his daily medications because he wasn't sick. I asked him what he meant. He said 'well, I have sugar problems they tell me but everyday when I check my blood sugar it's normal. They tell me I have high blood pressure but every time you take it or my dr takes it, it's normal. They tell me I have high colesterol but every time they check me, it's fine. I want to come off of this medicine and save myself some money!' Bless his heart. I told him that from what he was telling me, it sounded like the medications were working! He finally understood and agreed the medications were cheaper than another hospital bill.

Anyway, didn't mean to get side tracked but I guess what I'm getting at is I'm sure the medication is helping your arthritis. I'd hate to know the discomfort you'd feel if you weren't taking medication for it. So in some ways it is masking something.....it's masking pain that the arthritis would cause you.

One sure fire way to find out is to stop taking the medication and stop the Biofreeze. I think it would get your attention pretty darn fast (unfortunately). Of course, I wouldn't recommend stopping any dr recommended medication without speaking with the prescriber first but you know what I mean.

I'd push for the MRI. You need at least one for a baseline since you have this ongoing problem. They need to make sure the bone spur is not causing any damage and also to make sure nothing else is going on.

So for the shoulder progress, there really won't be a lot of 'progress' if you have arthritis. You are -on a daily basis- just trying to keep the inflammation down to a dull roar and stay comfortable. Progress would like to be achieved with something like a tear or something along those lines.

Keep the faith. I know it gets old having to take medicine for something ongoing like this but I'm afraid if you stop it, the inflammation would not be good company.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Can you tell me what the symptoms for stenosis are?

Do you think mt thigh pain when i walk(it also feels as if my leg is HEAVY!!)could be caused by that or my disc prob (or both)?

Thanx, Nurse Milli!!

Stenosis of what area of the spine are we talking about? (lumbar spine)?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes--The disc prb. is lL4-L5, and the stenosis is the lumbar spine....i am just wondering if the cause of my leg pai when i walk COULD be caused by one or both of these, and if so, if there is anything i can do beyond periodic epidural shots and the Diclofenac (oral)--what can i do at home, if anything?

Thank you SO much!!

~M~

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes--The disc prob. is L4-L5, and the stenosis is the lumbar spine....i am just wondering if the cause of my leg pain when i walk COULD be caused by one or both of these, and if so, if there is anything i can do beyond periodic epidural shots and the Diclofenac (oral)--what can i do at home, if anything?

Thank you SO much!!

~M~

The spinal stenosis can certainly cause a world of problems. Lumbar spinal stenosis can actually cause numbess, pain, tingling - all that can radiate down into your hips/legs/knees (one or both) and even your foot (feet). (radiculopathy is the technical term here) Some conservative treatment measures would include massage therapy, ice/heat on the area, chiropractic care, Physical Therapy, the use of NSAID's ( ie.Voltaren), rest, activity modification, -any or all of the above. Sometimes the epidual steroid injections work wonders and sometimes surgery is required if the stenosis is too bad.
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.