Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

how to avoid acid reflux during class? hello i have acid

how to avoid acid reflux during class?

hello

i have acid reflux problems and i think its mostly cause of my heavy weight which is 133 kg = 292 lbs and im 29 old male 5'6 tall.

so right now im on course to treatment with avoiding trigger foods and losing weight.

soon im going to join a diploma school to study web development and its a 9 months period with 3 days per week and each class is 2-3 hours and the school is 24 km from my home = 15 miles.

anyway what bothers me now is that im afraid and fear of an acid reflux episode attacks me during these classes since i always get panic and anxiety attacks when it happens .....i even thought of cancelling the whole project and do it after i lose enough weight to guarantee no episodes would attack me whatsoever during class.

but to be honest this is my dream field and i want to do it now :(

is there a way to guarantee those episode wont attack me during these 3 hrs class?

thx for ur time
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

mysticdoc :

I understand your anxiety.

mysticdoc :

Besides, diet, exercise and losing weight, acid reflux should be treated with medication.

mysticdoc :

An acid suppressant medication will make sure you do not get any attacks throughout the day.

mysticdoc :

Omeprazole 20 mg daily can be used for now.

mysticdoc :

This also helps any injury to the esophagus and stomach from excess acid.

mysticdoc :

Also carry small snacks like crackers, biscuits to avoid empty stomach.

Customer:

right now i use proton a 40 mg and antacid drink called muscall but only when i get an episode

mysticdoc :

Ok

mysticdoc :

Proton 40 can be used during your class days.

mysticdoc :

You can continue on as needed basis after a daily treatment course for 4 weeks.

Customer:

is proton good? and how many hrs it can keep me stable

mysticdoc :

Yes it is good --the action remains for 24 hours.

mysticdoc :

Proton is pantoprazole I assume.

Customer:

ye

Customer:

no antacid needed?

mysticdoc :

Antacid for short acting or immediate relief.

mysticdoc :

Not needed.

Customer:

how long usually antacid can relief us? in time i mean

mysticdoc :

The antacid action remains for 4 to 5 hours.

Customer:

ok cool now lets say class is in 1 hr i eat a proton pill, is there anything else like for example not drinking water before class or some stuff like that? since i will drive car and my belly might pressure the stomach? since most of my weight is in that area

mysticdoc :

You should not eat much --smal portion sized meal.

mysticdoc :

wear loose shirt not to pressure on the belly.

mysticdoc :

water is good.

mysticdoc :

and do not bend forward too much

Customer:

i only eat 3 big meals per day breakfast lunch and dinner the class usually comes after lunch ....how many hours i should stop the big meal before the class ?

mysticdoc :

eat a small lunch an hour before.

Customer:

i eat at 2 pm and class is 5 pm is ok to eat big meal ? or still need small?

mysticdoc :

still you should eat small.

mysticdoc :

the big meal may take longer than 3 hours to digest.

Customer:

could u any chance to give me a guideline like how much grams of food? im a measurement guy :)

mysticdoc :

how much you eat at lunch now?

Customer:

385 grams of rice 400 grams of chicken and 300-400 mil of soup

Customer:

and sometime 250 mil apple juice

Customer:

or most of time really

mysticdoc :

that is a lot

mysticdoc :

ok you should cut down to about 150 grams rice, 100 gram chicken, 100 ml soup.

mysticdoc :

avoid apple juice as this may cause acidity.

mysticdoc :

water is fine

Customer:

replace it with water

Customer:

nice

mysticdoc :

yes correct

Customer:

and after the class i can eat the other half no problem

Customer:

of the meal i mena

Customer:

mean|

mysticdoc :

yes correct

mysticdoc :

that way you have nothing to worry about.

mysticdoc :

And take proton 40 just before your lunch

Customer:

before lunch or class? since there will be 3 hrs between them

mysticdoc :

before lunch

mysticdoc :

proton 40 is long ating --takes about 15- 30 minutes to start action.

mysticdoc :

acting

Customer:

nice

Customer:

last question sorry too much questions lol

Customer:

i noticed before i get an episode it doesnt comes right away after u eat the food...it only happens couple or 3 hrs of meal is that currect? and why it happens this way

mysticdoc :

That is possible.

mysticdoc :

this is due to the excess acid production which is triggerred by the food.

Customer:

so u mean there is no rules it the episode can start right after i eat the meal right or even during it

mysticdoc :

yes correct

Customer:

thx alot man really helped and god bless u

mysticdoc :

very welcome

mysticdoc :

It was my pleasure to help you today.
Best wishes,
Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer:

excellent for sure :)

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD