Dr. David, Doctor
Experience:  Ten years practicing as a licensed family physician.
19863579

you there?

you there?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

Dr. David : Hello. What's your question?
Dr. David : I need to switch out of chat mode and into Q&A mode.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi,

im 37 still in great shape work out often eat well. being said, i would like to "ward off" some of the negative aspects of aging. it seems many get very good results from a combo of gh and testosterone replacement.

my concern is i do not want to shut off my own produciton of T

asssuming usage of a rub on t replacement, would alternating 1day on one day off or some other protocol help prevent the decrease of natural production?

or is it the type of thing once you go on you are on for the rest of your life?

any suggestions on how or who to approach that would be understanding of my concerns

thanks

mike

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your question.

If you are working out often and eating well, those are two of the best strategies for maintaining high testosterone levels throughout your whole life. Most of the men who I have treated for low testosterone had developed low levels because of dietary and lifestyle factors. Taking prescription drugs, street drugs, and alcohol are other ways that many men ruin their testosterone levels.

Have you ever had a blood test to measure your total testosterone and free testosterone levels? If not, it may be a good idea to have this done so that you can detect any changes and address them promptly.

In answer to your first question, there is not a good way to take supplemental testosterone without lowering your body's natural production of this hormone. In the men who I have treated, taking even a small amount of a testosterone cream will shut down the natural production of testosterone.

Yes, supplemental testosterone is something that you are on for basically the rest of your life once you start taking it. So we always reserve this prescription medication for older men who are having symptoms of low testosterone, have low levels on a blood test, and who have already tried some of the natural methods that I will mention next.

There are some natural supplements that can support the body's ability to make its own testosterone and can actually boost testosterone production in men that have low levels. The combination of the following five supplements can accomplish this within a few months time: Vitamin A palmitate, 25,000 to 50,000IU per day; Zinc, 15 to 30mg per day; Boron, 3mg per day; Tribulus, 500mg, 2 to 3 times per day; Ashwagandha, 500mg, 2 or 3 times per day.

For boosting GH levels, there are some natural strategies as well. The best way to measure GH levels in the body is with a 24-hour urine collection test. Low levels can be treated with a healthy diet, exercise, and some secretagogue type supplements.

Dr. David, Doctor
Experience: Ten years practicing as a licensed family physician.