Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

Good Evening, I smashed my little finger in my car trunk on

Customer Question

Good Evening, I smashed my little finger in my car trunk on July 4th. The nail is just now trying to come off, it's still attached to the skin, but the sides come up like you've got fake nails on. I don't have insurance, so is there anything I can do about this short of waiting until it comes off on it's on. Thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 6 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for your question I am Dr. German I would be here to help you and give you all the assistance you need until you are satisfied, there is no need to worry, You are going through a natural healing process in which a new nail will grow back while the old one falls off .

In the meantime,clean the area with warm water and an antibacterial soap. You should use cotton rubber gloves while you wash the dishes or while you are doing other house chores. There is a nutritional supplement that you can get over the counter called biotin ,it will make your nails stronger and the new nail will grow and heal faster. You could also apply a topical antibiotic cream ( Neosporin antibacterial topical cream which you can get over the counter ).

You could also apply vitamin E oil ,the nail will grow faster and healthier .

Do not try to remove the old nail on your own .

If you experience any swelling , pain or purulent secretion or the nail has a gray, yellow or black coloration ,You will need to contact your doctor for further medical evaluation and to receive a more specific treatment .

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day !

Please leave a positive feedback ( click on excellent or good service ) if you are satisfied with my answer.

Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I already take the hair, nails & skin pills, should I still take the biotin pill also?

No , if you are already taking the hair ,nail skin pills ,taking the biotin pills is not necessary .

What you could do is apply a vitamin E, almond or olive oil on the nail .