Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

my boyfriend is nearing 59 and has a hx of hypertension and

my boyfriend is nearing 59 and has a hx of hypertension and kidney stenosis. The hypertension is well managed by bp meds and the stenosis has not progressed since we changed his diet and omitted processed foods, etc. Last night he noticed a small--well it looked kinda like a skin tag--just to the right of his testicles in the groin area. He has never noticed this before. The alarming part is that it is surrounded by what looks like a jagged edged black bruise that just appeared out of nowhere. We don't know if this could be a melanoma, a blood issue, the sign of impending something other, etc. We were thinking we would watch to see if it changes over the weekend and then go in to the dr. next week. Could this be more emergent than that?

Dr. Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX will try to assist you with your medical question and any medical information you seek.

Dr. Brims :

This is most likely exactly what you said it is, a skin tag

Customer:

but the bruise looks like a melanoma

Dr. Brims :

It may also be dead tissue that is a result of trauma that occurred without his knowledge

Customer:

it surrounds the skin tag in a jagged circular shape

Dr. Brims :

Have you seen melanoma before?

Customer:

yes my mother died of it

Customer:

very dark blackish/redish looks like a bruise but isn't sore

Dr. Brims :

Okay, then you may watch and wait for another week, there is no urgency before then, it may disappear prior to that

Customer:

okay. that's what i was thinking...watch it and see if it starts to look like a healing bruise all gross and yellowish and such and if that doesn't happen, he should go to the dermatology clinic?

Dr. Brims :

yes, after that he should go to the dermatology clinic

Customer:

ok. thank you

Dr. Brims :

You're very welcome

Dr. Brims :

If you have no other questions on this topic, you may click a rating button to end the chat session